Berlin’s nightclub door policies are notoriously strict, but Berghain takes this to another level. Thankfully, Berlin boasts plenty of other clubbing options.
There are a few surefire ways to get rejected at the door of a Berlin nightclub. If you’re in a group of more than four people, you’re under 21 or you’re overdressed, you could be in trouble at any club. But then there’s Berghain. People puzzle over the formula to get into what is often called the best nightclub in the world, but one fact remains clear: the chances of being allowed entry are extremely slim. Rejection hurts. But it’s important not to take it personally and to party on at one of these alternatives.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Here’s a real alternative to Berghain: a sober morning rave. Glanz und Tanz is ‘taking inspiration from the night to kickstart your day’ by hosting 6.30am meditation and yoga classes followed by a pounding morning disco. Joanna Miles launched the concept in 2018 after she realised that nowhere in Berlin provided a space for sober ravers to let loose. “The alcohol-free, natural morning party is for those who love wellness, music and dance, healthy food and great people,” she says of her initiative, and you can be sure you’ll feel a lot better after this party than you would after Berghain.
MS Hoppetosse is a permanently docked boat that sits on the River Spree. The fairy-lit floating party has one dance floor, powered by roaring Morf speakers. Here, you can dance to the club’s signature bookings of minimal house and techno maestros, or you can sit and chill on the upper and lower decks. As with most clubs in Berlin, it’s usually open at the weekends and rocks all night long.
Berliners know that summer has truly started when Else throws its first party. The club is located right on the water of the River Spree and is only open during the summer months, as the space is entirely in the open air. The club itself screams summer – it’s made of brightly painted shipping containers and multicoloured flags, with bunting draped from end to end. There’s a grass area where you can chill and munch on Salami Social Club pizza or party under the trees at the open-air dance floor to their upbeat house and disco selection. These parties are afternoon affairs, meaning you can have a decent Sunday dance session and be in bed by midnight.
Gretchen is slightly off the beaten track, tucked away in a corner of Kreuzberg away from other nightclubs. This club doesn’t follow the house and techno trends of the city it inhabits, instead championing alternative genres like dubstep, drum and bass, garage, electro and trap. As a result the atmosphere and crowd are refreshingly different: clubbers here get dressed up (as opposed to the cool, nonchalant style that is king in many Berlin clubs), dance on platforms and really let loose. Gretchen is dimly lit, bar the red neon light that illuminates the ceiling and the club’s characteristic interior arches, while the staff are friendly and the drinks reasonably priced.
This club is a short walk from Berghain and is a great option if and when you don’t get in. Watergate spans two levels and is more compact than many clubs, but its booking team regularly invite prestigious DJs who play upbeat, fun and accessible music. Watergate’s real selling point, however, is its floor-to-ceiling windows paired with its location right on the River Spree – so you can watch the sunrise over the river as you dance the night away.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Alice Dundon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.