If you haven’t visited Georgia, you’re missing out. There’s much to love about this beautiful country on the border of Europe and Asia. The capital, Tbilisi, provides that city buzz, while the Caucasus Mountains offers a more natural experience. Need more? Here are the main reasons to visit Georgia.
Georgians look after their guests
Georgians say that a guest is sent from God, so they welcome guests into their homes like they would any friend or family member. If you befriend a local here, you can be sure you’ll be invited into their home and treated like royalty. They might even show you around and recount the history of the nation. On Culture Trip’s specially curated nine-day Georgia adventure, you can enjoy a traditional Georgian lunch with a local family.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The local cuisine is delicious
Much like the landscape, the food here is diverse. Even though the cuisine is mainly meat- and dough-based, there are vegetarian options, too. The national dish is khinkali, meat dumplings with a bit of broth inside. Vegetarians can try it with potato, mushroom or cheese filling. Another local favourite is khachapuri, a pizza-like cheese pie served at dinner with different variations across the country. You may also come across a popular appetiser made with aubergine, spinach and cabbage leaves with a walnut sauce.
The country is naturally beautiful
Despite its small size, Georgia has all kinds of landscapes, including deserts, coasts and mountains. The country is a paradise for hiking and camping lovers. You can also explore breathtaking lakes, canyons, waterfalls or relax at spa resorts. And for more inspiration, check out our article on natural wonders to visit in Georgia.
Georgia can be a budget-friendly break
Though Georgia is increasing in popularity, it is still considered a budget-friendly destination. Most of the cultural and historical sights are free of charge, while the ticket price of the museums starts at three Georgian lari (£0.70).
Eating out can be both expensive and cheap, depending on your budget. Tbilisi, Batumi and Kutaisi are the major destinations, of which Tbilisi might be the most expensive dining destination. However, if you’d like to make your trip as affordable as possible, check out our budget-friendly guide to Tbilisi cafes and restaurants.
You can soak in relaxing sulphur baths
Georgia has natural hot springs and spa resorts across the country. But the sulphur baths in the Abanotubani neighbourhood of Tbilisi are the first stop for many tourists. The bath water, which sits at 40C (104F), is thought to be beneficial for the skin. You can experience the sulphur baths for yourself as part of Culture Trip’s immersive small-group Georgia tour.
The oldest-known European was found here
During archaeological excavations in Dmanisi, scholars found a 1.7m-year-old skull – the oldest evidence of human habitation in Europe.
It’s a wine-making destination
Georgia is said to be the oldest wine-making country in the world. It’s thought people have been making wine here for at least 8,000 years, using egg-shaped clay jars called qvevri. Those jars are buried underground where the fermentation process happens naturally. The process gives Georgian wine a distinct amber tint.
Georgia has beautiful architecture
If you like examining architecture, you’ll find a lot of interesting buildings here. Head to Tbilisi to see Soviet structures, art nouveau buildings and architectural landmarks. While there, drive two hours southeast to the David Gareja Cave Monastery complex, a sixth-century cave system founded by St David Gareja, one of 13 Assyrian monks who spread Christianity throughout the country.
Visit the highest settlement in Europe
Ushguli, in the Svaneti region, sits 2,200m (7,218ft) above sea level and is considered the highest settlement in Europe. Make it here and you’re rewarded with views of Mount Shkhara, the third-tallest mountain in Europe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.