Besides high mountain ranges and thick forests, Georgia is home to some gorgeous and breathtaking lakes. Some lie in the lowlands of the country and some in the top mountain regions. Several are so high up in the mountains that you need to hike for several days to get there – but the views are worthy of the trek. Visiting those lakes are the best way to get off the grid in Georgia, so here are some of the most stunning lakes in the country you need to visit on your trip.
Want to sit back and let someone else do all the planning for you? Then join our epic nine-day Georgia adventure, led by our local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located in Kareli Municipality, the area of Bateti Lake is only 0.02sqkm (.008sqmi), with a maximum depth of 12m (39ft). Situated near Kodmani village, the lake is accessible by car, with a one-hour ascend on a muddy road. The best time to visit the lake is during the fall season when the surrounding trees change into a warm color palette. You can also camp here in summer and early autumn.
Located in the Alpine zone of the country, the hike to Kelitsadi Lake is quite tricky and requires at least three days in total. You will, however, need a permit to hike, as the lake sits near the occupied Ossetia region. At 3,300m (10,927ft) above sea level, the lake is surrounded by Sherkhota Mountain, making the landscape even more beautiful. Make sure to take a GPS tracker. There are many unmarked trails, so it’s easy to get lost and wind up in a dangerous situation. The best way to hike to the lake is to book a tour in Georgia. Several different hiking companies offer them.
The Paravani, located at 2,073m (6,801ft) above sea level, is a volcanic lake and considered to be one of the biggest in Georgia. In October and November, the water level is low but reaches its maximum depth in May and June. During the winter months, the lake is frozen, making the landscape very scenic.
Mtsvane Tba, located in the Adjara region, is easily accessible from the coastal city of Batumi. The lake, situated in the picturesque Goderdzi Pass, is 2,058m (6,752ft) above sea level and has a natural green color. Here, you can swim in the lake in beautiful weather, relax and take amazing pictures of the surroundings.
Located between Borjomi and Akhalkalaki cities, this lake is for those who like a more relaxed hike. Reachable by a car, the Tabatskuri Lake is at 1,991m (6,532ft) above sea level and is of volcanic origin. You can set up a camp here or stay at the local guesthouse to experience famous Georgian hospitality. And if you love fishing, you can bring your fishing rod and fish for carp, barbel, and trout. The best time to visit the lake is from June to October when the area is still covered with snow, and the valley is green.
These alpine lakes lie at the foot of Mount Ushba, offering splendid views over the surrounding mountains from 2,200m (7,218ft) above sea level. The hike starts from Mestia, the central city of the Svaneti region. The total time to trek to the lakes takes about four hours, with well-marked wooden posts along the way.
Another reservoir in Georgia, and often referred to as a lake by the locals, is Sioni Lake. Here you can swim, fish and camp anywhere you would like. The average depth of the reservoir is 25.4m (83ft), and the maximum is 67m (220ft). Sioni Lake is close to Tbilisi and is accessible either via Gombori highway or Tskvarichamia. The latter offers picturesque views of the forest from the road.
Zhinvali is a hydroelectric dam on the Aragvi River. With turquoise-colored water and surrounding hills, the reservoir offers splendid panoramic views both from the road and Ananuri Castle, which stands nearby.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.