At Legay Choc, a Parisian boulangerie in the heart of the Marais, things lean a little differently than at a traditional French bread bakery. Instead of simply moulding dough into the expected baguette shape, owner Richard Legay creates a penis-shaped baguette, cheekily referred to as la baguette magique (literally ‘magic wand’).
In movies, Paris is often evoked through images of velvet berets, wheels of cheese, snooty locals and a baguette sailing past under the arm of a bicyclist. Stereotypes, right? Yet baguettes really are as plentiful in Paris as the films would have you believe: after all, boulangeries are strung throughout Paris like the city’s metro stations – each flush with bakers, their aprons smeared with flour, sliding shelves of bread into cavernous ovens.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
But at boulangerie Legay Choc in Paris, owner Richard Legay infuses something extra into all his creations.
No one makes la baguette magique like Legay Choc
At Legay Choc, bakers work away in the kitchen, rolling out long batons of dough, pressing two balls at one end and showering the raw dough with a smattering of poppyseeds to make Legay’s famed baguette magique.
“I am the only baker of Paris and France to create la baguette magique in the shape of a penis,” Legay says. “The speciality of our bakery is that … we make traditional French baguettes, and with this traditional baguette we decided to alter it by making it a bit fun, a bit naughty.”
Each baguette is crusty on the outside – a pattern of diagonal scores gracing the top – yet soft and plush on the inside. Shape aside, it remains a perfect vehicle for a swipe of butter or jam, a classic accompaniment to wedges of sharp cheese and tart olives, or simply enjoyed as is.
“Every boulangerie in Paris has its speciality,” Legay says, “but there is only one like Legay Choc.”
The origin of Legay Choc
Legay, who comes from a long lineage of bakers, never wanted to enter the profession. He grew up in boulangeries, witnessing firsthand how time-consuming and difficult it is to run a food business. Legay’s father operated a boulangerie in Nantes (a city west of Paris), next door to an army base. There, he often received humorous requests from soldiers to make risqué baguettes. It became a running joke in the Legay family.
“One day my brother asked me to create an original bakery with very kinky products,” Legay says. “And I said to him: ‘It is very hard to do this in Nantes. If we do this, let’s do it in Paris.’”
So Legay and his brother together launched their undeniably avant-garde boulangerie, stationing it along a narrow street in the Marais, a historically gay neighborhood in Paris. Parisians and tourists alike flock to the bakery, seeking out the brazen bread. They unabashedly exit the bakery, ripping off hunks of the bread as they head on their way.
“Foreigners think that Parisians are really boring, too serious and stuck up, but that is absolutely not the case,” Legay says. “Parisians are not like this. If they were like this, I don’t think I would be selling as many baguettes magiques as I do.”
Along with la baguette magique, Legay Choc also offers other phallic pastries such as raspberry-crowned tarts, chocolate-chip-studded brioche and even a galette des rois in January.
How to correctly eat Legay Choc’s baguette magique
Although there’s certainly no wrong way to eat a baguette, Legay recommends that to properly attack la baguette magique, diners should softly tear off the balls, delicately dip each one into a mug of black coffee to soak up extra flavour, then take a hefty bite. He maintains that it’s necessary to savour each mouthful, returning to the loaf to repeat these steps until only crumbs remain.
Gay pride is at the heart of Legay Choc
For Legay, his boulangerie is more than just a cheeky place for locals to purchase bread. It’s an opportunity to express who he really is. “Opening this bakery, the gay bakery, helped me come out to everyone around me, my family … the fact that I’m gay,” he says. The bakery is certainly brimming with gay pride, from the floor-to-ceiling rainbow flags fluttering outside to the gay community who frequent the bakery.
“Baguettes and pastry are a staple of Paris,” Legay says. “Bread has the power to bring people together, no matter their background, and boulangeries are the hub of every community. Bread is magic, penis-shaped or not.”
Explore some of the world’s most vibrant cities through local chefs and unique food with the full series of Hungerlust.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.