Ever wondered what exactly déjà vu is? Have you made a faux pas? Eaten an hors d’oeuvre? Voulez-vous an explanation vis-à-vis the ensemble above? Then voilà, here’s a list of French words that have subtly entered the English vocabulary.
Called the language of love, French is a romance language — a modern form of spoken Latin. Nobody says je t’aime quite like the French, and the language is full of doting words of affection such as amour (love), cheri(e) (darling), puce (sweetie), bisous (kiss), trésor (treasure)… How can you resist tomber amoureux/amoureuse – falling in love with French?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
French is the only language, along with English, that is taught in every country throughout the world. It was also the official language of England for over 600 years.
France operates the biggest international network of cultural institutes like the Alliance Française, with its 850 centers in 137 countries on five continents, which promote the French language and culture with courses for learners of every age.
Some say French is like a springboard for learning other foreign languages such as Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. Once you have French down, just remember: Spanish is -ción, Italian is -zione and Portuguese is -ção. What better way to get a head-start in exploring Spain, Portugal and Italy than through French?
Coup d’état, bureaucracy
French has a long history as an international language of diplomacy, commerce, literature, and scientific standards. It is also an official language of many international organizations, including the United Nations, NATO, the European Union and the International Olympic Committee.
Eh bien, dansez maintenant
The language of Ballet (a French word) with its own vocabulary based on French terminology, which came into English usage around 1630. Ever seen a ballet dancer leap into a Grand jeté (a great split in the air) or a cabriole, or even perform a pirouettte?
En vogue, à la mode
French is the language of fashion — faux-fur, haute-couture, prêt-à-porter and eau de parfum.
Meandering through Paris, the fashion capital of the world, master the art of shopping à la Parisienne with boutiques on avenue Montaigne and place Vendôme. Leading French schools of fashion like ESMOD France, established in 1841, which Olivier Rousteing (head designer of Balmain) attended, offer prestigious fashion design courses.
Au revoir malbouffe
The language of taste buds will inspire you to bid adieu to junk food! ‘Anyone can cook,’ said Chef Gusteau in Disney’s Ratatouille (pronounced rat-tat-too-ee).
Ever looked at all those scrumptious morceaux (morsels) that make up any Bistro’s menu and wondered if you could cook them yourself? You can if you become a Cordon Bleu-grade expertin haute cuisine, including crème brûlée, mousse au chocolat, baguette and foie gras.
France is ranked as the world’s seventh largest economy by purchasing power parity, so working in French has its advantages in the job market. French is also an official language in Canada, Monaco, Switzerland, Belgium and in some Northern and sub-Saharan African countries with prosperous and/or emerging economic markets.
France is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Visit picturesque French villages like Giverny, Monet’s hometown, and experience travel without the feeling of being just another tourist.
French literature is a subject of national pride and has played an important role in European literature. The country tops the list of most Nobel prizes in literature, with more French writers being awarded Nobel Prizes in literature than novelists, poets and essayists from any other country.
Alexandre Dumas’ The Three Musketeers will teach you all about fencing, adventuring, injustice, abuse and friendship. Delve in to The Count of Monte Cristo, filled with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy, and forgiveness – all in French, bien sûr.
Team spirit, pride and education are central to the language spoken in renowned French universities and business schools, which are ranked among the top higher education institutions in Europe and the world.
Study at Paris’ historic university, the Sorbonne, where Marie Curie, Vera Wang and Jackie Kennedy also studied. If you speak a good level of French other study opportunities, bursaries and scholarships for internationally recognized French qualifications may be available.
A long list of celebrities speak French, including Jodie Foster, Bradley Cooper, Johnny Depp, John Malkovich, Diane Kruger, Elton John, Ewan Mcgregor, Halle Berry, Madonna, Mick Jagger, and John Travolta.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.