Easy access by Eurostar from London and Brussels and the eminently walkable old part of town are just some of the reasons why Lille is a great destination for a solo trip. Even if you are travelling for work, why not try to take some extra time before or after to enjoy the food, shopping, culture and the many surprises that the city has to offer?
Join a tour
When you are travelling alone you tend to pay more attention to your surroundings and notice things you would otherwise miss when you are in conversation with a travel buddy, so embrace the experience. A fun way to visit the city is to join a guided tour, either on foot, or on a bike. The Tourism Office can point you to a bike tour offering 9km of easy bike paths to unveil the hidden treasures of Vieux-Lille, the modern Lille Europe district, and the main landmarks with about a dozen stops for comments from the guide and to take photos.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit a museum
There is a surprising depth and breadth of cultural venues on offer in Lille. Among the most notable of Lille’s museums are the Fine Arts Museum, second museum of France for the richness of its collections; the Hospice Comtesse Museum, a former hospital dedicated to the Flemish art; the Natural History Museum whose collection is unique in France or the Charles de Gaulle’s birthplace. These are perfect spots to lose yourself for an entire afternoon to refuel the mind and spirit.
Check out special events
When you attend an event – even if you are all by yourself – by default you already have a common theme to spark a conversation. After all, you are there for the same reason as everyone else! There’s plenty on offer in Lille all year round depending on your interests. Food, music, heritage, film, and naturally the major events that Lille is famous for. Highlights include the Braderie flea market on the first weekend in September and Christmas Market and its dozens of wooden chalets full of gift ideas, as well major art exhibitions at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Lille, in the LaM in Villeneuve d’Ascq or La Piscine Museum in Roubaix.
Shop like a local
One of the boons of travelling solo is that it is easier to blend in with the everyday cityscape, and mingle with the locals. Markets are a perfect way to catch a glimpse of local colour, learn about food, discover a rare book in the second-hand stalls at the Vieille Bourse, spot a bargain in the great brocantes, and shop for something unusual or quirky to take back home.
Lille is legendary for its warm hospitality. If you are a solo female traveller you probably have to take a few more precautions, as in any big city, being aware that there may be cultural differences related to flirting. What is perceived as friendly smiles and enthusiastic conversation in one culture can be perceived as an encouragement and lead to awkward situations in another. After dark stay within the touristy streets, leave the more colourful neighbourhoods and markets for well-frequented daylight hours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.