Souvenir shopping has certainly come a long way from the stand-art T-shirt, postcards, magnets, and key chains. Those on the hunt for out-of-the-ordinary souvenirs and gifts to take back home with them, follow these suggestions for some of the best souvenir finds all located in Lille.
The Office de Tourisme et des Congrès de Lille is located in the stunning Rihour Palace, and it’s worth stopping by just to admire its beautiful architecture. Aside from great information on places to visit and a friendly welcome, there’s also a charming selection of souvenirs in their gift shop.
Office de Tourisme et des Congrès de Lille, 42 Place Rihour, Lille, France, +33 08 91 56 20 04
A quirky-little shop close to Grande Place carries the usual suspects such as mugs, t-shirt, and the like, but they also sell some fun and original displays of the legendary northern sense of humour.
Souvenirs Lille, 28 Place Charles de Gaulle, Lille, France, +33 03 20 51 29 75
The café and bookstore of the Palais de Beaux Arts just reopened in the spring of 2017 after a full renovation. A sensational space to take a break, browse reference books on the museum and its spectacular collection, and discover fun and high quality stationery, gifts, jewellery, and textiles. The perfect souvenir for art lovers.
Palais des Beaux Arts, 18 Bis Rue de Valmy, Lille, France, +33 03 20 06 78 00
A treasure trove of souvenirs around a Ch’ti theme and the city of Lille at its center. It offers good-quality items and a wide range of choices from cooking utensils, beer mugs, and all manner of kitsch paraphernalia in nearby Croix.
Quinquinette, 128 Rue des Ogiers, Croix, France, +33 03 28 33 07 90
A wonderful surprise in an unexpected place. On the crypt level of the Notre Dame de la Treille, a serene-vaulted space houses an atypical shop that offers original gifts handcrafted by monastic-artisanal ateliers. Not limited to religious or spiritual gifts, they offer unique gourmet products hard to find anywhere else.
This pastry shop and confectionery has been a local favourite for centuries. Makers of the famous gauffre fourrée, a thick-crispy wafer filled with vanilla cream, it was a favourite of General De Gaulle. This delicacy, as well as other delicious treats, can be enjoyed on site and is also available for gifting complete with beautiful packaging.
Meert, 27 Rue Esquermoise, Lille, France, +33 (0)3 20 57 07 44
Old-fashioned candy like Babeluttes, a Flemish specialty made of soft caramel, and the beloved Bétises de Cambrai—apparently born from a mistake, hence the name (in French, bétise means silly goof saying something that makes no sense)—is forever popular as a gift. The classic is a peppermint candy with a white stripe, although they come in a variety of flavours nowadays.
L’Estaminette, 10 Rue de la Barre, Lille, France, +33 (0)3 62 10 13 54
La Comptesse du Barry
For the crême-de-la-crême of gourmet gifts, there’s few places as fabulous as the Comtesse du Barry. The shelves stock a ‘tour-de-France’ of foodie delights, including northern-region specialties.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Comptesse du Barry, 21 Rue Esquermoise, Lille, France, +33 03 20 54 00 43
This bookstore is a perfect spot to pick a gift for globetrotters and wanderlusters. It is packed with over 10,000 titles dedicated to the thirst for adventure including great-photo books and travel guides focused on Lille and the surrounding region.
Autour du Monde, 65 Rue de Paris, Lille, France, +33 03 20 78 19 33
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.