Finland has some of the last and greatest unspoilt landscapes in Europe, with scenery ranging from tall mountains to flat swamps. Their distance from human habitation means that any hikers willing to make the long and arduous journey will be rewarded with unique views that not many other people get to see outside of photographs. You can find detailed information on all of these locations on the National Parks website, including safety tips and all the recommended gear.
Pyhä mountain peak
The trail to the peak of the Pyhä-Luosto national park in Lapland passes through miles of old forests and stone gorges that look amazing during any season. Making it to the summit offers amazing views of the park. If you are daring enough to climb the trail during the winter, you may be lucky enough to see the Northern Lights from the peak.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
North Karelia’s national park has some easy trails up to the top of the tree-covered cliffs, but if you climb to the Ukko-Koli (‘old man Koli’) summit, the highest point of the range, you’ll get right up to a height of 347 metres (1,138 feet). You will see why the view has inspired so many Finnish artists and become the most recognisable landscape in Finland.
These cliffs in Repovesi National Park tower 50 metres (164 feet) above a lake and are a real challenge for climbers and hikers, yet a highly rewarding one. Some rock climbers even take the chance of scaling the vertical rock wall above the lake, and it is known as ‘the mecca’ to rock climbers in Finland.
The hike up Mount Halti is one of the most difficult in Finland, but very much worth it. Not only can you say you have taken on the mountain, but you will also have reached the highest point in Finland. While the actual peak of the mountain is in Norwegian territory, as the mountain is right on the border, seeing both countries at once is rare and spectacular.
The trails crossing over this famous ridge offer views of Lake Saimaa, Finland’s largest lake, and the thousands of tiny islands dotted throughout its waters. Despite being a popular destination for tourists and hikers, the sparseness of the area still makes it incredibly peaceful and you will be fully immersed in nature.
Each of these seven hills in the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park have trails and lodges to cross between them. Climbing to the top of any one of them offers both epic views and the freshest air in the world. In the autumn, the hills are lit up with vibrant orange colours, while in winter you can view the Northern Lights from the peaks.
This incredibly hilly trail in the Saariselkä Wilderness Area of Lapland, reaching 698 metres (2,290 feet), is tricky and requires regular rest breaks. Taking on the challenge will give you the best views in the area, with sights of rolling hills and clear blue lakes.
The best way to take in the forests of the Aulanko Nature Reserve is to hike up the hill to the observation tower, which is designed to resemble a castle tower. From there, you can see the entire valley of forests and lakes, including Joutsenlampi, which means ‘swan lake’. Along the way, you can also visit the remains of the former Hämeenlinna garrison.
Tuntsa wilderness area
Tuntsa in Eastern Lapland is known as one of Europe’s most beautiful pieces of terrain, yet the flat landscape also makes it easy for hikers and its remote location makes it incredibly peaceful. By following the trails, you can see unspoilt tundra, areas damaged by wildfires and some amazing wildlife.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.