If there’s one thing Finland should be considered best for, it’s stunning natural landscapes, which range from snow-covered tundra to sunbathed islands. A short visit or overnight stay to any one of Finland’s 40 national parks is worth it for the unforgettable scenery, but these are some of the top parks across the country which will really leave you breathless.
Discover more beautiful Finnish landscapes by husky sledding and ice trekking on our expertly curated five-day adventure to Lapland.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hossa is the newest national park in Finland. It was designated with national park status on June 16th, 2017, to coincide with Finland’s 100 years of independence. It’s actually highly surprising that this move didn’t come about sooner, as Hossa has ideal conditions for hikers, climbers and kayakers. It’s also home to amazing wildlife, including some of the best fishing opportunities in Finland.
This North Karelian national park is well-known for unique and beautiful clifftop views overlooking pristine forests and lakes; they’ve been inspiring artists, writers and composers since pre-history. During the summer, it’s a popular location for renting summer cabins for fishing and boating; in the winter, it becomes a ski resort. By taking a walk on the trails you can discover ancient Finn-Pagan sites such as The Devil’s Church.
Another Lapland park, Riisitunturi has the finest raised bogs in Europe and miles of spruce-covered land and cliffs. In the winter, these trees become fully coated with snow, providing an eerie yet fascinating photo opportunity. You can tackle this national park either by foot, on cross country skis, or even by snowmobile.
A national park stretches across much of the southwestern archipelago, making it the largest in the world. By renting your own boat, you can explore the labyrinth of islands. If you prefer sticking to the trails, you can also see miles of clear Baltic scenery on the ferries and hike or cycle between the quaint islands.
Located in southwest Finland (close to both Helsinki and Turku), Teijo is notable not only for the serene and peaceful scenery, but the local heritage of ironworks, much of which you can still see today in the former ironworker villages. There are also local traditional crafts for sale, as well as marshes, birdwatching, and fresh herbs to pick.
Somewhat more unusual for Finland, Torronsuo stands upon Finland’s largest and deepest swampland which creates unique visuals. The swamps can be crossed safely on trails of duckboards, and during the spring and autumn you can see the migrating cranes and geese from the observation platforms. The scenery still becomes blanketed by snow during the winter and covered in beautiful flowers during the spring.
This coastal park close to Helsinki offers sea views, marvellous plant life and scores of migrating birds. In the surrounding villages, you can hear local war stories and tales of old-time smugglers. If you’re lucky, you might even spot the Baltic seals. This national park is an ideal place for boating, or just getting out of Helsinki for a day.
Arguably the most stunningly beautiful national park in Finland, Repovesi offers a combination of forests, lakes and cliffs, all populated with local wildlife and cabins for rent. You can take in all of this scenery at once from the Mustalamminvuori Hill observation tower. The impressive hanging bridge is particularly worth seeing, while the hand-operated ferry is quite an experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.