Helsinki, the capitol city of Finland, is a heaven for young people – from the trendy cafes and clubs in Kallio to the boutiques of the Design District. Best of all, most of them are highly affordable. These are some of the top activities, events and places to visit in Helsinki during your 20s.
Brave the Helsinki Horror Walk
If a regular walking tour sounds too boring, try out the Helsinki Horror Walk instead, especially if your taste is more on the morbid side. You can visit some of the minor sites and hear lesser-known ghost stories and urban legends after dark.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rent a private island
The archipelago surrounding Helsinki contains numerous villas and private islands which can be rented out. Each cottage costs only a few hundred euros each week to rent, so when pooled together with your friends it makes for incredibly cheap accommodation.
Have a barbeque at Seurasaari
There aren’t many places in Helsinki where you can legally have a public barbeque, but there are a few fire pits overlooking the sea at Seurassari. The old buildings at the open air museum are also worth seeing for some interesting history.
Have a drink at a rooftop bar
Sample some of Finland’s fine beers and vodkas and take in views of the city at the same time. Ateljee Bar in central Helsinki is 70 meters above street level and has stunning views of the city centre, plus some classy cocktails.
Indulge at a sushi buffet
Helsinki is a great city for foodies, and a cheap place for international cuisine is at one of the many sushi buffets. Ravintola Konnichiwa is the most popular and for only €15, you can eat as much sushi and miso soup as you like at the lunch buffet.
Let loose at the Kallio Block Party
One of Finland’s best street parties, Kallio Block Party is held every August and takes over entire city blocks. The event attracts thousands of people and includes live music, street food, performances, and a festival atmosphere.
Buy or sell vintage items
There are plenty of thrift stores and flea markets in Helsinki where you can buy and sell old clothing and household items, including rare vintage items. The Hakiniemi Flea Market is one of the largest and most well-known, and there are many thrift stores throughout Kallio as well.
Visit a public sauna
No visit to Finland is complete without trying out a sauna at least once. A public sauna is a particularly unique experience and there are several in the city such as the Arlan Public Sauna.
Try authentic Finnish food at a market hall
If you’re looking for authentic Finnish cuisine made fresh by locals, head to one of the city’s market halls. There you can pick up pastries, meat, confections and other Finnish delicacies for a good price, and even take some home as souvenirs.
Go to a metal bar
For a different music experience and a way to participate in local culture, try out one of the city’s heavy metal bars or concerts. PRKL Club is one of the most popular amongst the local heavy metal scene, or if you’re really hardcore, visit the Tuska Open Air Festival.
Gamble at Casino Helsinki
Most Finnish supermarkets have a small area for gambling machines, but if that’s not enough for you then visit Casino Helsinki instead. As well as casino games, there are also events such as a murder mystery evening, entertainers, restaurants, and a sports bar.
Wander the streets
The French word ‘flâneur’ doesn’t have a direct English translation, but it essentially means to wander around aimlessly and without purpose. Helsinki’s small size but large range of attractive architecture make it a perfect city for doing this. Just set out in a random direction and see what you can discover.
Meditate at the Chapel of Silence
Our busy daily lives and many expectations put upon us don’t always leave us with much time for taking a quiet moment for reflection. The Kamppi Chapel of Silence is a special church in the city centre where you can silently meditate, relax or get in touch with your spiritual side.
Go ice skating
You don’t always have to go all the way to Lapland to enjoy winter sports. There is an outdoor ice rink set up in the railway square every winter – or if you’re truly daring you can skate on the frozen Baltic Sea ice.
Go designer window shopping
Fashion lovers will be in paradise at the many boutiques and flagship stores in the Design District. Even if you can’t afford the big name brands, it is still a lot of fun to window shop or try on some designer clothing.
Unwind at the spa
Helsinki is a great city for splashing out on a luxury spa treatment. Facilities such as the Löyly Sauna Complex offer saunas, quality food and a luxurious spa service.
Take a tram tour
A cheap alternative to the tour buses is to buy a day travel pass and take tram lines 3 or 4 for a central tour of the city. You will pass by all of the major sites and can get on and off as many times as you want.
Swim naked at Yrönkatu Swimming Hall
If using the sauna with others has desensitised you to nudity, take it one step further with a naked swim at the historic Yrönkatu Swimming Hall. But don’t worry, there are separate swimming sessions for men and women and an option to wear a swimsuit if you want.
Learn history at Suomenlinna
Sure it may be a touristy spot, but the Suomenlinna island fortress has earned its UNESCO World Heritage status as a captivating place to see and learn about Finland’s history. There are also art galleries, adorable cafes and a real World War Two submarine you can actually go inside.
Have coffee at the Moomin Café
You are never too old to enjoy Finland’s most beloved children’s series. At either of the two Moomin cafés in Helsinki, you can sample good coffee and indulge in childhood nostalgia at the same time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.