The sauna is a luxury in most countries, yet in its native Finland it is such an integral part of the culture and national identity that there are over three million saunas in the country, an average of one for each household. This abundance of saunas means you can find them in some weird and wonderful places. Here are some of the strangest and most unexpected places where you can take a sauna in Finland, many of which you can rent out for yourself.
In a Burger King
When ordering a meal to go at the central Helsinki branch of Burger King, you can also book a group sauna session to go along with it. The sauna’s importance in Finland has led to the fast-food chain opening its own sauna to rent out for business meetings, decorated in its own red, white and blue colour scheme. Perhaps they are hoping to sell more food as post-sauna snacks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At the ice hockey arena
Sitting in a hockey arena may leave you feeling cold, but you can stay nice and warm in the VIP boxes at Helsinki’s Hartwall Arena, which also contain saunas. The venue is popular for ice hockey games and concerts, and the sauna boxes are often used by large companies to impress their important clients.
In the library
How would you like to relax in a sauna after a long study session in the library? You can do just that at Helsinki Central Library. The library made the addition in order to promote Finland’s sauna culture, although obviously the library books do have to be left outside.
An ice sauna
The people of Lapland have already built a castle, a hotel and a restaurant entirely from ice. The Ruka ski resort has gone one further and built an entire sauna out of ice. Despite reaching temperatures of 70°C inside, the walls and ceiling constructed from ice still hold, and it is regarded as one of the most unique sauna experiences to be had in Finland.
At the parliament house
The members of the Finnish parliament enjoy a relaxing sauna as much as any other Finn, which is why their parliament house has its own sauna, which cabinet members use at least once a week. It actually serves an important purpose in allowing MPs to discuss and debate matters in an informal setting. Finnish embassies throughout the world also tend to have their own saunas installed, so that diplomats can keep up their favourite pastime.
Inside a phone box
Finnish saunas come in all shapes and sizes, and there is even one as small as a phone box. This micro-sauna operated by the Mobile Sauna Society is made from a transparent phone booth, fits only one person at a time and is small enough to be transported in the back of a truck.
Down a mine
There is a long tradition of factory workers using public saunas to sweat it out after a long day at work. The workers of the Pyhäsalmi zinc and copper mine have their own sauna 1,402 metres (4,600 feet) underground, making it the deepest sauna in the world as recorded by Guinness World Records. Unfortunately, the mine is scheduled to close in 2018, so the sauna will likely be no more.
On a bus
The Ruka resort also allows visitors to relax after a long journey to Lapland and sweat out their travel stress with their own sauna bus, an actual bus containing a working sauna. The bus, which also contains a karaoke machine, travels between three of the nearest airports and allows visitors to take in the landscape along the way and stop to cool off in a snowdrift or lake whenever they want to.
Inside a duck boat
This is one of the quirkiest saunas in Finland, located inside a boat shaped like a duck that tours the Helsinki coastline. The small boat is powered by an outboard motor, with the driver sitting at the duck’s head, and the sauna is heated with a wood-burning fireplace. While it appears small from the outside, the Fin-Duck can fit eight people inside.
On a ski gondola
A hot sauna is inviting after a day of skiing, which is why the Ylläs ski resort has opened a sauna inside a suspended gondola car. While the journey only lasts around 20 minutes, it is time enough for the premium sauna experience, and offers stunning views of Lapland.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.