Finland’s food culture and cuisine aren’t often well regarded by foodies. In fact, some pretentious chefs have labelled it as bland and tasteless. The truth is, if you use the right ingredients and prepare recipes correctly, Finnish cuisine is unusual but still delicious. These are some of the top things for foodies to do in Finland:
Have some reindeer cheese with your coffee
One of Finland’s favourite cheeses is leipäjuusto or ‘bread cheese’ (called ‘squeaky cheese’ in English for the strange noise it makes when bitten into). It is very similar to haloumi and served in much the same way. While it is usually made from cow’s milk, you can find bread cheese made from reindeer milk in Lapland, where reindeer are herded. Finns love to eat it with cloudberry jam alongside their coffee, sometimes even putting a few pieces into their cup and pouring the coffee over it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Study Finnish cooking at Ravintola Nokka
The best way to learn about Finnish cooking is to study with the experts. Ravintola Nokka in Helsinki runs a cooking class to create a meal with the theme of your choice. The professional chefs can take you through preparing classic Finnish dishes such as rainbow trout, mushroom soup, and deserts made with berries. Each dish is made using the most fresh seasonal Finnish ingredients.
Take a food tour with Heather’s Helsinki
To experience all the best food in Helsinki within a day, take a tour with Heather’s Helsinki. As a longtime resident of Helsinki, the tour guide offers a personal insight into the cuisine of the city, including many places you wouldn’t otherwise hear of.
Eat at the ice restaurant
Further up north in the Lappish town of Kemi is the snow restaurant, a highly essential destination for all foodies. It is a restaurant made entirely of ice – everything from the bar to the glasses – and rebuilt every winter with a new look. But it isn’t only the aesthetics that the restaurant is known for because the food is top notch too. Everything is made with local ingredients using traditional Finnish recipes, including the Lapland staple, reindeer. Even if you have to remain wrapped up in your winter clothes to eat at this restaurant, it is still one of the most appetising and memorable dining experiences you can have in Finland.
Sample some Fazer chocolate
Finland’s oldest and most popular chocolate manufacturer offers a tour of their exhibition in Vantaa, revealing the history of the company and how it innovated confectionery in Finland. At the end of most tours is a chocolate tasting so you can try out all of Fazer’s best flavours. Each visitor receives a product bag full of freebies. The Fazer cafes throughout Finland also sell quality drinks and cakes.
Do your food shopping at the market hall
No matter which Finnish city you visit, you can always find quality food at the market hall. These have been an important part of Finnish life since the late 19th century and are still essential for the livelihoods of independent retailers. Each market hall typically contains stalls selling meat, cheese, fish, confections, and usually one or two cafes or restaurants. It is the best place to pick up ingredients for dinner, chat with local merchants, and experience the local food culture.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.