There are very few places worldwide where people can stand right between two clashing seas. Grenen, near the city of Skagen right on top of Denmark, is one of them. Colliding for millions of years, the Skagerrak and Kattegat seas have created a long sandbar that has become a popular destination for nature-lovers.
Grenen, which translates to ‘the branch’ got its name due to it’s long and narrow appearance and its way of stretching out of the mainland, which resembles a tree branch. Located on top of Skagen, Denmark’s northernmost city, the peak of the four-kilometer-long curved sandbar is literally the country’s tip. Before Skagen’s White Lighthouse was built in 1747, Grenen was a rough passage for sailors as they often couldn’t see the shallow reef and ran ashore.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Watching the Skagerrak (which flows into the North Sea) and Kattegat (which flows into the Baltic Sea) meet right under your feet is a natural wonder that will definitely give you goosebumps. Put one foot in each sea and gaze upon the horizon as you’ll almost be able to see the Swedish city of Gothenburg. Unfortunately, swimming is not allowed due to very strong currents but worry not – the area boasts some of Denmark’s most spectacular coasts.
The area around Grenen is known for its rich flora and fauna and some of the ocean’s greatest animals swim within the turbulent seas’ waters. Seals lie lazily among tourists, while many visitors have spotted dolphins, northern minke whales and even orcas passing by. For a chance to see the impressive creatures, make sure to bring a pair of binoculars on your trip.
Grenen is known for its diverse landscape with scientists claiming that new land is still being formed. Over the last century, the reef has grown about one-kilometer northeast towards Sweden, hence why experts argue that you can never really comprehend what Grenen will look like in the future.
Grenen isn’t the only reason why you should visit the city of Skagen
Skagen has always been a popular Danish city. Since the late 19th century and the early 20th century, it was a famous destination among artists, particularly painters who stayed in the remote city due to the unique landscape and the quality of life. As they became known as the Skagen Painters, today over 1,000 pieces of their artwork are exhibited at Skagens Museum. Nowadays, Skagen attracts millions of tourists who drive up north in order to spend their summer holidays surrounded by the Danish countryside. Grenen is only one of the reasons why this Danish town should be on every nature enthusiast’s bucket list.
White sandy beaches stretch for several kilometers on both the city’s east and west side. Though the waters on the east side are calmer, it is also safe to swim at most beaches on the town’s west side. There are also forests, fields, and dunes that visitors can discover by joining one of the various guided tours that take place. Hiking, horseback riding, and other outdoor activities are organized all year round, although there are more choices in spring and summertime.
During the Skagen Bird festival in May, the town gets packed with locals and foreigners who gather to witness millions of migratory birds flying by. Skagen is one of the top cities in Europe to see rare birds species.
Once you’ve explored the city’s gems make sure to stop by Skagen Odde Nature Center. The classy museum focuses on the effects of sand, water, wind, and light, helping visitors at Skagen understand the area’s natural phenomena.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.