In North Jutland, just an hour’s drive from Aalborg lies one of the most beautiful areas in Denmark – Jammerbugten. Also known as ‘The Bay Denmark’ or Misery Bay (direct translation) , this scenic location got its name due to sailors who lost their lives whilst out in the sea. Nowadays, The Bay Denmark is known for its long sandy beaches, vast forests and dunes and is a popular summer destination.
There are 13 long, sandy beaches
One of the reasons The Bay Denmark attracts thousands of tourists each year is due to its 55-kilometer-long white sandy coasts. There are 13 beaches in total in the area with Blokhus Beach, Slettestrand and Grønnestrand being among the most popular ones. You can take a dip in the North Sea’s waters, relax under the sun, or take a horseriding tour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The area is known for its diverse landscape
From forests and lakes to long coasts and dune plantations, Jammerbugten’s landscape is so diverse and beautiful that every globetrotter will be enchanted. Take a walk at Blokhus Klitplantage, a 642-acre wooded area and visit Bulbjerg, “The Shoulder of Jutland” as locals call it. It is the peninsula’s only rock and it spans 47 meters above sea level.
The many choices for outdoor activities
The Bay Denmark offers plenty of choices to those who want to add outdoor activities on their lists. Many visitors choose to explore the vast forests and green plantations by taking long hiking tours while others prefer to play in the waves at the North Sea and test their skills in water sports. The area is also popular among experienced bikers who travel to The Bay Denmark to go on a bike ride at Svinkløv Klintplantage dune plantation, one of Denmark’s roughest mountain-bike tracks.
It’s a great destination for family holidays
The Bay Denmark is a great destination for family vacations as kids can dive in the beautiful beaches, play in the middle of the forest at one of the five playgrounds or go canoeing along the area’s large, calm lake. Moreover, with a variety of resorts and camping sites, it’s easy to find a suitable accommodation for families of all budgets and tastes.
Great dishes with traditional Danish delicacies
The Bay Denmark may not be home to Michelin-starred restaurants but foodies will definitely get a taste of authentic Danish cuisine. The area brims with cozy restaurants and inns that serve local dishes made with natural ingredients produced in North Jutland. Seafood dishes made of fresh fish caught in the North Sea, the region’s popular Vildmose potatoes and locally brewed beers are some of the things you’ll find in every restaurant’s menu.
You can take a one-day trip to Aalborg
Why not take a one-day trip from The Bay Denmark and visit Aalborg, Denmark’s fourth-largest city? It’s less than an hour’s drive making a fairly quick journey. Get a taste of the town’s cultural scene at Kunsten Museum, take a walk around the city’s scenic alleys or grab a beer at Jomfru Ane Gade, Aalborg’s most vibrant street.
Visit Fårup Sommerland: Denmark’s largest water park
In Fårup, a town between Blokhus and Løkken, lies Fårup Sommerland, Denmark’s largest water park and one of the best amusement parks in Scandinavia. Founded in 1975, the award-winning amusement park has been welcoming thousands of visitors every summer for more than 40 years. Nowadays, the park is home to six roller coasters, dozens of rides and several water slides suitable for young and old.
Learn North Jutland’s history
North Jutland is a former fishermen’s region and was known as one of the country’s most important craft trading areas up until the end of the 18th century. Nowadays travelers can trace the area’s history by visiting the country’s last berth at the coast of Thorupstrand and witness locals working on the restoration of traditional clinker vessels at Slettestrand beach.
The lifeguard station at the town of Blokhus
Blokhus town is one of the most popular destinations at The Bay Denmark. However, this coastal city was once the most dangerous passages due to heavy winds that wrecked ships and took the lives of many sailors. In 1852, the King ordered the construction of a lifeguard station in the area and over the following year, the 12 boatmen working at the station rescued more than 118 shipwrecks.
Today, tourists can visit a replica of the legendary lifeguards-saving station in Blokhus as, during World War II, the German forces removed the original.
Several festivals and events take place
Many events take place at Bay Denmark, with Jammerbugten being particularly popular during spring and summertime. The Wind Festival which takes place in May each year on the beach between Blokhus and Løkken is one of the most famous and attracts hundreds of paragliders, parachute jumpers and kite-surfers from around the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.