Bornholm is Denmark’s sunniest place, so no wonder this small Baltic Sea island is locals’ favorite destination for a short escape from daily life’s hustle and bustle. Spend 24 hours exploring picturesque little towns, climbing on granite cliffs, hiking across sandy beaches, and biking on the island’s more than 150 miles of cycling routes.
Bornholm’s main capital and the town that hosts the island’s airport is Rønne. This will most likely be the first stop of those travelling to Bornholm from Copenhagen. Take a walk around Store Torv, the city’s historic center, and spark up a conversation with locals while viewing the picturesque island for the first time. MadaGo is the ideal place to grab a bite and taste the local delicacies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a stroll by the harbour and Rønne’s small neighbourhoods to observe the red and yellow brick houses that are considered the island’s trademark. Bornholm was occupied by Germans during the World War II and due to the extensive bombardments, the largest part of the city was destroyed. When it was reconstructed after the end of the war, the colourful houses now standing replaced the ruins and made Bornholm one of the most charming islands in Scandinavia.
Nature lovers should head towards Hammer, the island’s northernmost place. It’s considered one of the most beautiful parts of the island and is approximately one hour by train from Rønne. Hike along the sandy coast and the island’s biggest lake Hammersøen, take a dive from the steep hills into the Opal Lake (Opalsøen), and visit the Hammershus Castle Ruins that stand on top of a cliff that stretches 74 meters (242 feet) above the sea.
After discovering Bornholm’s wild landscape, grab the bus towards Gudhjem, one of the island’s most known villages. Stop at Bornholms Kunstmuseum and discover the artworks of some of the most known painters of the Bornholm School. For an extra glimpse of the island’s diverse landscape, stop by the Sanctuary Cliffs (Helligdomsklipperne), Denmark’s popular awe-inspiring caves. As Bornholm is known for its traditional smokehouses, make sure to visit Gudhjem Røgeri and taste the locally smoked herring. The restaurant is particularly known for its special dish ‘Sol over Gudhjem” (Sun over Gudhjem), made with smoked fish, egg yolk, chives, and radish.
In about 10 minutes by car and 20 by bus (line 1), arrive at one Bornholm’s most important landmarks, Østerlars Rundkirke, the island’s largest and probably oldest round church. It is estimated that it was built around 1160 and its architectural characteristics show that in the past it was also used as a fortress.
Those exploring the island by car, have dinner at Bornholm’s most known and Michelin-starred restaurant, Kadeau. It’s located in the south of the island and takes approximately 30 minutes to get there by car. It’s a great way to end a trip to Denmark’s scenic island.
Those travelling by bus or bike, it will take more than two hours to get to the restaurant, so a nice alternative is to explore the less touristy side of the island in Svaneke City. It takes only 30 minutes to get there by bus from Østerlars Round Church. Take a walk around, check out the famous Svaneke Watertower that was designed by Jørn Utzon, the architect of the Sydney Opera House, and weather permitting, make a picnic at Hullehavn Beach and relax while enjoying the peaceful view.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.