It’s well known that Copenhagen is not the top of a backpacker’s list, as stories about its high prices have spread among travellers all over the world. It cannot be denied, Copenhagen is expensive, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t discover the city’s sights, eats and drinks on the cheap. You only have to know the right places and we’re here to help you find them out.
Copenhagen offers a great transportation system, with night buses, a 24 hour metro and the S-train that runs from 05.00am to 00.30am. But all good things in life come with a price, and in this case it is 24DKK for a 2 zone-ticket, which you can use for approximately one hour. So, if you’re planning to move around city by public transport, it’s much cheaper to buy the Citypass, which costs 80DKK and is valid for 24 hours, the 7-days FlexCard for 260DKK or the Copenhagen card. And if you fancy travelling around on two wheels, renting a bike with Donkey Republic and Baisikeli are two of the cheapest companies in town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Donkey Republic, Njalsgade 23C, Copenhagen S, Denmark +45 89 88 72 27
Baisikeli Ingerslevsgade 80, Copenhagen, Denmark +45 26 700 229
Exploring Copenhagen’s museums and exhibitions can be a bit pricey. Entry fees range from 50DKK to 130DKK. However, some of the most important museums have free admission days. Travel from the Egypt of the pharaohs to the Roman Empire with Ny Carlsberg Glyptoteket museum’s free admission on a Tuesday, or discover the Danish Golden Age at Thorvaldsen museum on Wednesdays. If you’re a culture enthusiast and two museums are not enough, don’t despair. Buy the Copenhagen card with 379DKK (54 US$) and you’ll have free admission to 73 museums. Plus, it offers free public transport by bus, train and metro, and discounts on several restaurants and other attractions.
Ny Carlsberg Glyptoteket, Dantes Plads 7, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 41 81 41
There are many other ways to discover Danish history and culture for free. Visit Amalienborg Palace and take a stroll among the four rococo palaces that comprise the Royal’s Family residence. Walk along the canals at Slotsholmen island, in the heart of the city centre and observe the Christiansborg Palace. The Neo-Baroque building, that nowadays hosts the Danish executive powers, offers free guided tours to the parliament and to the public galleries. Just around the corner stands the building that used to be Copenhagen’s market-place in the 17th century, the historic Børsen. Last but not least, in approximately 10 minutes walking time, is located The Royal Library. A must-see for architecture lovers.
Christiansborg Slot, Prins Jørgens Gård 1, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 92 64 92
Unfortunately, restaurants in Copenhagen aren’t really cheap but supermarkets are (especially Netto and Fakta). So, the best way to save some money, that you can spend on an extra beer later, is to prepare your lunch or a bag full of goodies before leaving your room. Supermarkets offer a great variety of foodstuff, but if you want to be a proper local get a smørrebrød. The Danish typical sandwich is almost in every Copenhageners’ lunch box and it shouldn’t be missing from yours. For vegetables and fruit check out the city’s grocery stores. They are cheap and fresh. If cooking is not in your plans while visiting Copenhagen, look out for the city’s hot dog stands and durum (kebab) restaurants. Find some of the tastiest and cheapest choices here.
What about cheap alcohol? If you’re visiting Copenhagen in the summertime the answer is simple. Grab a beer from a kiosk or a supermarket and relax at one the city’s parks. Luckily, there are plenty around. Frederiksberg Have, the King’s Garden or the lakes around Dronning Louises Bro in Nørrebro are some of the top choices for locals when the sun shines. For the rest of the year (or maybe let’s say 11 months!) it’s a better idea to snuggle up in a cosy bar. There are plenty of them in the city centre as well as in Nørrebro and in Vesterbro. Take a look on this guide to discover 10 cheap bars around Copenhagen.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.