Travel back in time on a scenic old time-style train that will take you across a series of mountains in Bulgaria. Only one of the several narrow-gauge train routes in the country has survived up to today, connecting people who live between the town of Septemvri and the mountainous town of Dobrinishte. Here’s everything you need to know about this unique ride.
The narrow-gauge train (tesnolineika in Bulgarian) covers a route of 125 km (77 mi) across the Rila and Pirin Mountains and the Rhodopes. The trip takes about five hours, which makes the average speed a mere 25 km/h (15 mph). Urban legends have it that the slow speed allowed young lads in the past to impress their ladies: they went to the first carriage of the train, jumped off, picked flowers along the tracks and then hopped back on the train at the last carriage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The space between the carriages is open, so you can actually feel the wind in your hair or wave to the fishermen you see along the way. Since 2018, the train has had a café carriage, so you can sip a cappuccino or indulge in a beer while you enjoy the hairpin turns and choose the landscape for your next photo from the window.
Interesting train stations along the route
The route itself passes through interesting towns and villages, some of which are worth visiting. Velingrad is known for its mineral springs and spa hotels of all ranges, from luxury to affordable. The town was named Balkan Spa Capital a few years ago and is one of the best places in Bulgaria to turn a weekend into a wellness retreat.
At an altitude of 1,267 meters (4,157 ft), Avramovo’s railway station is the highest in the Balkan Peninsula. While there’s nothing special in the village itself worth getting off the train for, you can add this fact to your list of travel achievements.
Belica (also spelled Belitsa) is the town known for its bears. Until the 1990s, there used to be many people in Bulgaria whose job was to tame and train bears and travel around the country with a bear dancing show. The animals were often kept in terrible conditions, aside from the fact that they were kept in captivity. This practice was officially banned, and since the trained bears couldn’t adapt to life in the wild, in 2000, they were all gathered in a specially built recovery center in Belica. The Dancing Bears Recovery Park is open to visitors, and you can take a tour every half hour. The entry fee is 6BGN (€3) for adults and 3 BGN (€1.50) for children.
Razlog and Bansko are close to the end of the railroad line and most crowded in the winter because of the many excellent ski slopes near Bansko. If you are not into winter sports, though, don’t pass up a chance to visit the two towns in summer, when you can explore Pirin Mountain’s many jaw-dropping trails, cliffs, and peaks. Koncheto is a ridge that will accelerate your pulse at you gaze at the steep rocks on either side of you while you are clinging to a metal handrail.
How to get tickets for the narrow-gauge train
You can buy tickets for the narrow-gauge train at any train station in Bulgaria (unfortunately, they are not available online). You can check the schedules on the website of the Bulgarian State Railways. The route you need to check is Septemvri – Dobrinishte. If you come from Sofia or Plovdiv, first you need to take a fast train to Septemvri (there are several available daily with good connections to the narrow-gauge train). The five-hour journey and the train schedule mean you should plan at least two days for the trip with an overnight along the route. You can find additional useful information in English about the narrow-gauge train here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.