No visit to Bulgaria is complete without tasting some of the country’s best wines. Even if you have planned a city trip to Sofia and you don’t have time to go on a wine tour, you can still have a rich wine experience. Here are the best places, events, and wines to include on your self-guided wine tour of the Bulgarian capital.
You can taste Cabernet, Merlot or Chardonnay almost anywhere in the world, so why not focus on the local grape varietals? There are many types of wine that can only be found only in Bulgaria. If you are a white wine lover, look for Dimyat or Misket (a type of Muscat). Red wine aficionados should ask for Pamid, Gamza, Mavrud, and the Melnik varietals Broad-Leaf Melnik and Early Melnik. Although Sofia is not a separate wine region, it is where you can find the richest wine culture with the biggest number of wine venues and events.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best wine bars and wine stores in Sofia
Vino Orenda Wine Shop is the first wine shop in Sofia to sell only Bulgarian wine. Since opening in 2012, the owners have become very well known for their knowledge of wines. The shop organizes themed wine tastings where you can meet Bulgaria’s winemakers and learn about local grape varietals and wine techniques. Despite its small area, Vino Orenda has a selection of more than 300 local wines.
50A, Makedonia Blvd, 1606 Sofia, Bulgaria
CASAVINO is a wine shop chain with several locations in Sofia and Varna where you will find a selection of Bulgarian and foreign wines. You get a 10% discount if you get six or more bottles of wine.
Grape Central is the perfect spot for a lazy Saturday brunch or for a glass of wine after work. The cozy restaurant and wine bar situated on the quiet Tsar Samuil Street is a stone’s throw away from the busy central Vitosha Boulevard and has more than 300 wines on its list, and usually has ten wines offered by the glass every month.
45, Tsar Samuil Str., 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
Izbata is a cellar-like restaurant located in a quiet street in the center of Sofia where you can try European cuisine and chef’s specialties accompanied by Bulgarian wines. In the summer, you can enjoy your meal in the restaurant’s cool garden.
Wine tastings and major wine events in Sofia
Vino Orenda Wine Shop and Grape Central both have a lot of wine tastings, so keep an eye on their Facebook pages for upcoming events.
But the single biggest wine event for the year is Discover.Vino World (previously known as DiVino Taste). It takes place every spring in Sofia and draws hundreds of winemakers from Bulgaria and abroad. The entrance ticket usually lets the visitors taste 300+ wines, meet wine experts, and join lectures.
You can also venture out of the city and organize a one or two-day wine tour, visiting wine cellars around Sofia. For example, Melnik, 125 mi (200 km) south of Sofia, is the most popular wine town in Bulgaria with several excellent wineries in the surrounding area. Public transportation to the town is not convenient, so the best options are renting a car and exploring the area yourself or joining an organized wine tour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.