Innsbruck, Austria’s ‘capital of the Alps’, offers tourists and locals a fairy-tale-holiday destination, boasts some of the country’s most idyllic and scenic landscapes. Here are some of the ways visitors can experience the best of nature, outdoor activities, and attractions during their time in this picturesque city.
Innsbruck hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976, and it has always garnered a reputation as a paradise for skiers, snowboarders, skaters, and cross-country hikers. There are eight primary resorts to choose from, all designed for people with varying degrees of ability—from beginner’s-baby slopes to epic-sharp drops for adrenaline seekers. Grinzens, located south-west of the city, is home to highest skiing village in Austria, boasting fairy-tale landscapes and a wide range of jumps, slopes, and a natural ice rink.
Mingle with locals and try haggling at this bustling and historic market awash with tasty-local treats from the areas surrounding the city. Austrian wine, meat, cheeses, and sprawling displays of colourful, fresh produce all await patrons to sample. The market truly comes to life Saturday mornings. After patrons have their fill of browsing the stalls, they can settle down at one of the open-air restaurants that look out to the river for a glass or regional wine and a spot of lunch.
Herzog-Siegmund-Ufer 1-3, Innsbruck, +43 512 584837-0
Innsbruck is a champion of terrific views. For those who do not enjoy hiking and gliding is a little too dicey, the cable car offers a great option to experience the scenic delights surrounding the city. Swooping across the country’s largest nature park, Karwendel, visitors can enjoy an uncompromised, panoramic scene of the complex landscapes below. Designed by architect Zaha Hadid, whose work includes the Bergisel Olympic Ski Jump, the car picks people up from the Old Town and transcends them 6,560 feet (around 2,000 meters) up into the clouds in around 20 minutes.
Many visit Innsbruck during the colder months for its famously-festive atmosphere. The Christmas Markets, warmly lit under the dark-blue sky, against a snowy landscape won’t fail to stir spirits. The Old Town hosts one of the most spectacular markets. With wooden stalls set beneath a square of Baroque buildings, nearby attractions include the iconic glittering Golden Roof—an icon of Innsbruck. Sip on punch and munch on hot ‘Kiachln’ (Austrian doughnuts laced with Sauerkaut) while browsing the treats for sale.
Christmas Market at Old Town, Innsbruck, +43 664 465 03 84
This futuristic structure, designed by star architect Zaha Hadid, juts out of the greenery like an alien antenna—in stark contrast to its lush natural surroundings. In addition to the incredible views from the top of the tower, visitors can catch show jumpers in action from May through to October—a dramatic experience that they can watch while enjoying breakfast at the panorama restaurant.
Bergiselweg 3, 6020 Innsbruck, +43 512 589259
Mountain Soaring Experience
There is no better way to experience the dramatic landscapes of Innsbruck than soaring through the skies above. This gliding school offers a variety of courses, from a one-day introductory package that takes gliders above the Tyrolean Mountains to a week-long Alpine touring expedition, instructing students in the main topics of ‘advanced mountain soaring.’. The adventures set off from Innsbruck Airport and are run by highly-experienced pilots and instructors.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Despite its name, this attraction is not, in fact, a seller of baked goods (although Innsbruck has plenty to offer in this department), Instead, it offers a pioneering force of Innsbruck’s cultural scene. Self-described as ‘a dynamic space that combines communication, production and presentation,’ check out their website for details on upcoming events, including lectures, exhibitions, workshops, and explore the inner workings of Innsbruck’s artistic circle.
Dreiheiligenstraße 21a, 6020 Innsbruck, +43 680 2472260
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.