As well as being home to elegant cities, Austria boasts natural landscapes that are stunning and well worth a visit. From epic mountain ranges to beautiful and lush nature reserves, here is our pick of the most stunning natural wonders in Austria.
Particular sections of the Stubai Valley mountain range can be reached only by attempting the terrifically challenging Stubai High Trail, a gruelling 100 kilometres (62 miles) with a total ascent and descent of around 8,000 metres (26,247 feet). Those who can manage this trail will be rewarded with unbeatable views from the valley – sheer bliss, and among Austria’s most breathtaking natural landscapes.
Legend has it that the waters of Lake Weissensee have therapeutic qualities, and it is widely acknowledged as the purest swimming lake in the Alps. The region surrounding the waters, a pristine nature reserve of Carinthia, was recently granted a European Tourism and Environment Prize.
The aptly named Wilder Kaiser or ‘wild Emperor’ range in Austria is a real treat for seasoned hikers, with a sprawling 400 kilometres (249 miles) of forest and mountain paths to get lost in. Although it is perfectly easy to reach the general area (located around 80 kilometres or 50 miles from the cities of Innsbruck and Salzburg), some of the prettiest spots take some serious hiking to get to.
Part of a set of three lakes in Upper Austria, this spectacular lake sits beneath the mighty Dachstein glacier and the jagged peaks of the Gosaukamm Mountain, meaning it is a melting pot of organic wonders. Hiking is, of course, popular around this area, and people are frequently seen fishing on the waters.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a magical part of the country, with an endless expanse of rolling hills, historic fortresses and vineyards, all set around the River Danube. The Wachau area in rural Upper Austria is perhaps most famous for being the site where the notorious King Richard Lionheart of England was captured and imprisoned for a year after he insulted Duke Leopold. In 2000, the Wachau was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its rich architectural and agricultural history; it is a favourite destination with both Austrians and international visitors.
Holidays in this spectacular lakeside town are full of endless wonders and are terrific in both the summer and winter. Those who visit in the warmer months should be sure to embark on some of the area’s epic hiking trails, which promise to deliver breathtaking panoramic views and some satisfyingly challenging routes. Nearby Kaprun is famed for its glacier ice rinks.
Located on the border between Austria and Switzerland, between Tyrol and Vorarlberg, are some of Europe’s most indescribably enchanting natural landscapes. Not only does Arlberg offer scenic sights that will knock you sideways, the area also boasts incredible conditions for winter sports, and thus contains numerous resorts for skiers and hikers, with some testing slopes and staggering views. St Anton is considered the capital of the region, and is favoured by visitors for its numerous boutique hotels and gourmet restaurants.
Located 700 metres (2,300 feet) above sea level, the district of Gmunden in Upper Austria is a delightful area blessed with densely rich forests, rugged mountains and glittering streams. Between January 13 and 21 each year, the azure skies explode with colour, when hundreds of Luftballons (balloons) grace Gosau’s heavens for Hot-Air Balloon Week. This is just one of many spectacular attractions to enjoy here; the glaciers and the enchanting Lake Gosau are also sights not to be missed.
Bordering Bavaria and Germany, the Karwendel range contains many glorious hiking trails in the summer, and there are skiing tours to embark on in the winter.
Lake Neusiedl is the largest endorheic basin in Central Europe, spilling over from Austria into bordering Hungary. Populated by a whole range of wildlife, due to the high density of reeds, it is a paradise for birds that rest on the shores during migration periods. There are a few picturesque towns surrounding the waters, most notably Illmitz, Podersdorf am See (Pátfalu) and Weiden.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.