Vienna is a city of culinary specialties, beautiful buildings, multiculturalism, an eventful nightlife, and several varied markets. Check out some of the best markets in Vienna, where everybody can find somewhere to explore and maybe the right thing to buy.
It is a very special thing in Vienna to go to the Easter markets. Once a year some places change into a small Easter village. There you find typical decorations, like hand-painted eggs or Easter bunnies made of wood. But also, food and drinks are offered, which is ideal to get in to the full Easter mood. One of the oldest Easter markets is located at the Freyung in Vienna and is in the city center. It is in between of some houses, on a small plaza, and perfect for a longer and relaxed stay, and for finding the right things for everybody’s home.
For more info to Easter markets in Vienna click here
Freyung, Vienna, Austria, +43 1 515 43-810
About 200 exhibitors present their art, fashion and antiques at the Mondscheinbazar in the Marx Halle. The repertoire of the offered things ranges from books, clothes to vinyl and antiques. For a small entry fee, guests can stay the whole night, rummage around, and enjoy the special market aura. Welcome changes for everyone are the – mostly – local and talented bands, who perform their music. Come and experience this special market aura..
Neubaugasse Flea Market
The first market here took place in 1983, and nobody could foresee that it would be such a success. Twice a year this market in the Neubaugasse is a fixed point to visit for young and old people. As it is located very close to Vienna’s longest shopping street, it’s quite impossible to pass over this market. The secret behind the popularity of this market is that family-owned enterprises offer their produce besides young businessmen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Naschmarkt is located very centrally, and lies at the overbuilt part of the Wien Fluss, which is the city’s river. It is a fixed market, which can be visited throughout the whole year. Everybody who needs foods for daily use, specialties from other countries, fish or extraordinary fruits will find them there. It is also ideal to have a tasty lunch or dinner. From time to time, there are different events, like readings, and additional markets, like a flea market, and every Saturday there is the farmers market. In any case, this is an eventful place of residence and multiculturalism.
Every year both young and old are looking forward to the annual Christmas markets in Vienna. There are a lot. Some are situated more centrally, like the Christmas market at the Maria-Theresien-Platz, and some more outside of the city, like the Christmas market in front of the castle of Schönbrunn. The Christmas market shown in the picture above is located at Karlsplatz. It is close to the city center and offers a very unique ambiance with its church surrounds. This one offers only artisan craft work from Austrian artists. This market is perfect for having a hot punch, and offers a petting zoo for children too.
For more information on Vienna’s Christmas markets click here
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.