It’s got the best of both worlds
Gorgeous, mountainous scenes and a modest city with plenty of culture and history to uncover – Innsbruck offers the opportunity for holiday boasting, with equally exciting urban and rural sites. Although Vienna does contain plenty of green spaces (around 50% to be exact), it doesn’t rival Innsbruck in terms of spectacular scenery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Experience Tyrolian culture
Innsbruck is the capital of Tyrol – a region of Austria with its own distinct character and style. Visiting Innsbruck offers the chance to sample some traditional Tyrolian cuisine. Among the best dishes are groestl (roasted potatoes, speck, and onions topped off with a fried egg), peckknoedel (dumplings with pieces of bacon) and kaesespaetzle (spaetzle sautéed with a variety of mountain cheeses and garnished with fried onions). The Markthalle, the city’s most renowned food market, is one of the best places to get to know the local cuisine, or head to one of Innsbruck’s many Austrian restaurants.
It’s a winter wonderland
Austrian Christmas markets are among the most famous in Europe – adored for their quaint charm and cosy aesthetic. Innsbruck is a champion of Christmas, with snow-laced Alpine surroundings providing the perfect backdrop for the charming Christmas villages that pop up around the city. One of the most popular is the Maria-Theresien-Strasse market – a dreamy, festive paradise with stalls, selling homemade trinkets, and Austrian food and drink (warming Glühwein is a must).
Enjoy a surprisingly lively nightlife
Although you might not expect it, given its somewhat timid façade, the city centre has unexpectedly vibrant after-hours. Partly thanks to the university student population, there is a number of cocktail bars and small nightclubs to explore. A good place to start is at the Café Bar Moustache – a hip and friendly joint offering excellent coffee and cake in the daytime and cocktails in the evening. Check out our guide for some other recommendations of great places for a tipple.
Go on epic hikes
Even the walking-weary should experience what Innsbruck has to offer in the way of hikes. Whether embarking on a full-blown mountainous adventure or a more relaxed amble in the surrounding countryside, you won’t be disappointed by the natural beauty you’ll discover. Check out this website for details on 50 of the most popular trails.
Peace and tranquility
Vienna is by no means a raucous capital, however in the summer months the city centre can get crowded – with the touristy areas particularly swarming during peak times. Visiting Innsbruck, you’re more or less guaranteed a peaceful time away, with the option of the lively nightlife available if you feel so inclined.
It’s a winter sports paradise
Being a prime winter sports hub is largely what Innsbruck is known for – and for good reason. There are countless ski resorts dotted around the region, with some epic slopes and incredible views. The city hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976, and it has always garnered a reputation as a paradise for skiers, snowboarders, skaters, and cross-country hikers. There are eight primary resorts to choose from, all designed for people with varying degrees of ability – from beginner’s baby slopes to epic, sharp drops for adrenaline seekers. Grinzens, located southwest of the city, is home to the highest skiing village in Austria, boasting fairy-tale landscapes and a wide range of jumps, slopes, and a natural ice rink.
There is no better way to see Innsbruck than from above. For those who don’t enjoy hiking or find gliding a little too dicey, the cable car offers a great option to experience the scenic delights surrounding the city. Swooping across the country’s largest natural park, Karwendel, visitors can enjoy an uncompromised, panoramic scene of the complex landscapes below. Designed by architect Zaha Hadid, the car picks people up from the Old Town and ascends them 6560 feet (around 2000 meters) up into the clouds in about 20 minutes.
Innsbruck is full of architectural gems. From the glorious Golden Roof in the Old Town, to the Brutalist-style Ambrau Brewery, there are plenty of intriguing buildings to discover. One of the most impressive structures well worth a visit is the Bergisel Ski Jump. This futuristic structure, also designed by star architect Zaha Hadid, juts out of the greenery like an alien antenna – in stark contrast to its lush natural surroundings. In addition to the incredible views from the top of the tower, visitors can catch show-jumpers in action from May through to October – a dramatic experience they can watch while enjoying breakfast at the panorama restaurant.
Vienna is a fantastically cycle-friendly city, however Innsbruck is even more so, if that’s even possible. From mountain biking around the rocky terrain to more relaxed biking around town, it’s perfectly suited for exploring on two wheels. There is a wide spectrum of different routes to choose from and many outlets offer both mountain bikes and e-bikes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.