Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol, is one of Austria’s most idyllic holiday destinations. Here are a few of the best museums, where you can learn about Tyrolean culture and the history of the city.
Museum Goldenes Dachl
Adorned with over 2,000 shimmering tiles, the golden roof is one of the focal landmarks of Innsbruck. The structure was originally constructed by order of the Emporer to celebrate the anniversary of his marriage to Bianca Maria Sforza. The couple would often hang out on the balcony on celebratory occasions that were held on the streets below and the elaborately decorated facade, embellished in intricately detailed paintings, depicts various aristocratic scenes from their lifetime. Located in the “old town” area of Innsbruck, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Website and Location:
Founded in 1823, this museum contains detailed exhibitions on Tyrolean history, from the Roman Era all the way up to Modern times. Seven main collections lie at the heart, featuring arts and crafts, instruments, clothing, and weapons. The museum’s gallery is a highlight—featuring precious work by renowned Austrian painter, Gustav Klimt.
Audioversum is a multi-faceted institution focusing on the subject of hearing, featuring exhibitions on everything from art to medicine. It is a favorite among families visiting Innsbruck, as many of the activities and shows are fun, interactive, and effective at keeping young ones occupied. The permanent exhibition of the museum is centered around the exploration of how we hear, demonstrated with 3D models, sound installations, and audio tests.
Website and Location:
When a bell chimes in a city, it is somewhat comforting to know that it would have been the exact same sound that rang out many hundreds of years ago. This unique museum takes you on a journey through the art of craftsmanship and the fascinating history of the well-established institution, founded by the Grassmayr family. As they continue to manufacture bells today, visitors are invited to witness the casting and molding—a practice that is age-old. The museum gives an insightful look at the significance of bells within our culture and their development in the Western world.
Paintings by Austrian artists, historical documents, and aged photographs all feature among the collections at the Stadtmuseum, that aim to educate visitors all about Innsbruck’s vibrant history. Alongside the permanent features, many talks and lectures and temporary exhibitions are held throughout the year—be sure to check the website for details.
Museum of Anatomy
We’re all curious about the way in which we function. The Museum of the Institue of Anatomical Science offers an insight into the inner workings of the human body, illustrated with skeletons and detailed sketches of the anatomy. The museum is only available in the summer months, from June to September, and by appointment only.
Enveloped by a titanic 360 painting, guests can explore the city of Innsbruck with completely unobscured views. Created by artist J.M. Sattler in the 18th century, the exhibition features telescopes and interactive screens that allow users to make close-up comparisons of the past and present Innsbruck. It is a great way to get to know the city more intimately.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.