Once in the hands of local gangs, Panama City’s historic district of Casco Viejo is now a UNESCO World Heritage site and the most trendy area in town. With beautiful colonial mansions, art galleries and a bursting gastronomic scene, the small neighbourhood is an absolute must-see. Read our guide and discover the best things to see and do in Casco Viejo.
Lose yourself among the beautiful colonial buildings
Casco Viejo is one of the few areas of Panama City where it is possible to just wander aimlessly. Walk the narrow cobblestone streets and discover colourful colonial manions, the Metropolitan Cathedral, beautiful churches, plazas and some of the most significant Spanish architectural landmarks of Panama.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Taste Panama’s finest signature chocolate
Oro Moreno is a tropical chocolate café, a charming venue in Casco Viejo that promises to offer the best of Panama in chocolate. The idea is that of providing a “tree to bar” process: grown in the Bocas del Toro, the cocoa beans are mixed with local ingredients such as passion fruit, coriander and pineapple, to create some unique treats made in Panama that are 100% natural.
Learn about the Eighth Wonder of the World
Located in an emblematic building in the heart of Casco Viejo, the Interoceanic Canal Museum reveals the tumultuous history of the construction of the Panama Canal, whose capacity was recently doubled. A collection of objects and materials reveal the technology and functioning of this engineering marvel that has been called by many “the Eighth Wonder of the World”.
Listen to some of the best jazz music at Danilo’s Jazz Bar
Mentored by Panama’s world-renowned musician and composer Danilo Pérez, Panama City is on its way to becoming the jazz capital of Latin America. With only 50 seats, Danilo’s Jazz Club is Perez’s dream becoming reality. Visited both by locals and travelers, the 50-seat club fills Casco Viejo and the surrounding streets with music from local and international artists.
Discover Panamanian talent at Diablo Rosso art gallery
DiabloRosso is an art gallery and creative think-tank that was established with the goal of supporting and empowering young local talent, educating the public and provoking social impact. Located in Casco Viejo, the gallery is open to visitors and regularly showcases screenings and live performances too.
Gaze at the city’s skyline by night from one of the city’s best rooftops
Casco Viejo is considered Panama’s hottest district because of its smashing nightlife, its design hotels and fine-dining venues. Enjoy Panama City’s tropical weather while sipping a cocktail on one of the city’s best rooftop bars and take in the stunning panoramic views of the city’s skyline by night.
Get to know the neighbourhood through the eyes of gang members
While most of Casco Viejo has now been gentrified, some traces of its original identity can still be spotted. Take a guided tour of the district organised by the NGO Fortaleza and led by ex-gang members who used to rule the streets of the neighbourhood. Besides being a wonderful social initiative, it is also a unique way of learning about the real history that lays behind the repainted pastel façades of the buildings.
Go on a journey through Panama’s indigenous crafts
Considered the most creative neighbourhood in town, Casco Viejo is also the place to go to find alternative concept stores and handmade traditional crafts. Discover the most beautiful indigenous creations, ranging from Guna Yala’s fabrics (the molas), to woven baskets and masks, to ornamental objects carved in wood.
Follow Chef José Carles into the discovery of Panamanian traditional cuisine
One of Panama’s most famous chefs, José Carles is determined to bring the story of Panama’s cuisine to life through a series of small courses that make up the unique dining experience at his restaurant Donde José. Through very selected courses, Chef Carles educates both locals and visitors to Panama’s most authentic food identity.
Have a taste of Panama locally brewed beer at La Rana Dorada
La Rana Dorada is a brewery and bar that brings a selection of high-quality artisanal beers to the city. Named after the most representative animals of the Panamanian fauna (the Golden Frog) it is one of Casco Viejo’s most popular happy-hour spots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.