Panama City is a bustling melting pot for millennials on the up and up. From locals to expats looking for a change of pace and new scenery, Panama City has a variety of forward-thinking, diverse and eclectic neighborhoods fit for anyone to call home.
A number one choice for many, El Cangrejo offers incredible city life with everything one could need within walking distance. The ever-trendy, ever-growing street known as Via Argentina offers a grand variety of amazing restaurants – everything from sushi to Indian food and traditional Panamanian. El Cangrejo is also home to the lovely neighborhood park, Parque Andres Bello. With many new businesses popping up in and around El Cangrejo, it offers a quiet city buzz – not too loud, but always lively, for millennials in Panama City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Right next door to El Cangrejo is another popular neighborhood for millennials called Edison Park, separated only by a large and busy highway. Also a central location perfect for the working millennial, Edison Park offers a safe residential area with everything one needs in close proximity from schools to grocery stores. Edison Park is also within walking distance to Via Argentina in El Cangrejo.
On the other side of El Cangrejo, where Via Argentina meets another popular street, Via España, is the ultra-chic, business-savvy neighborhood of Obarrio. This area offers a slight step up in sophistication, as it is home to numerous dignified businesses. Obarrio also offers a plethora of eateries as well as grocery stores, and it is favored by business professionals, especially savvy millennials.
Marbella neighbors Obarrio and continues to offer more sophistication and elegance with high-fashion boutiques and lovely housing options. Marbella also offers incredible restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. This is a quaint and quiet dignified area for fashion-forward millennials.
Following Marbella in the thriving metropolis known as San Francisco. Home to arguably the best grocery store in Panama City, a megamall and several upscale restaurants, San Francisco is another step up for the business professional. Some of the city’s best childcare and education options are also found here. San Francisco is not as walkable as other neighborhoods like El Cangrejo, but it offers many fine features that make having to hop in the car worthwhile.
If walkability is an important factor, as it is for many health-conscious and eco-friendly millennials, Casco Viejo offers a beautiful neighborhood ripe for exploring on foot. Still rising in economic worth, the value of the homes here remains higher than most other areas. Casco Viejo is a thriving hotspot – perhaps the most popular place to reside in Panama City. Full of gorgeous historical architecture and winding roads lined with lovely restaurants and cafes, Casco Viejo is also known for some of the best nightlife in Panama City.
Costa del Este
A bit further out is the relatively new metropolis known as Costa del Este. Essentially the Beverly Hills of Panama City, everything is brand new and gorgeous, from the shopping malls to the houses and the people who call it home. Costa del Este is fit for millennials with extra money to spend and a taste for more luxurious things. With palm tree lined streets and perfectly paved roads and high-end everything imaginable, Costa del Este is the crème de la crème of Panama City neighborhoods.
Cinta Costera/Avenida Balboa
Slightly more affordable than Costa del Este is the still extremely trendy and top-dollar neighborhood that surrounds the Cinta Costera and Avenida Balboa. Millennials who value fitness and fashion find themselves in this dazzling area of Panama City. Full of fine dining options and high fashion boutiques, Avenida Balboa also serves as one of the main financial centers of the city.
City of Knowledge
Close to the famous Panama Canal and full of green space, the City of Knowledge operates differently from the rest of Panama City. A neighborhood with a mission as stated in its name, City of Knowledge is surrounded with a park dedicated to knowledge and higher education, perfect for the academically minded millennial.
Another option for posh millennials is the luxury neighborhood of Punta Pacifica. Home to the Corridor Sur and famous for being one of the most exclusive residential areas of the city, Punta Pacifica only offers state-of-the-art housing options. Buildings in this area include the Bellagio and Venetian Tower. Skyscrapers tower over the Pacific Ocean in this area that is only 15 minutes from the international airport and even closer to the city’s financial district. Punta Pacifica offers excellent private schools, top-notch shopping and luxury supermarkets, as well as some of the most comfortable accommodations in town.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.