Playa Flamingo is a lovely beach little town on the northwest Pacific coast. It is different from a lot of other towns in Costa Rica, as it does not have a town center and is rather more spread out. Playa Flamingo has long attracted international visitors, retired expats, and affluent Costa Ricans to its white-sand crescent moon beach. There is a lot to do and enjoy in and around Playa Flamingo, especially if you love spending time in and by the sea.
Coco Loco beach day
Playa Flamingo has a gorgeous soft-sand beach that is protected in a bay the shape of a crescent moon. It is an excellent swimming beach, as the bottom is all sand and the waves are rarely sizeable and powerful. In short, it is the perfect beach to spend the day on. Coco Loco is a beachfront restaurant and bar where you can enjoy frozen coconut concoctions, fresh seafood, and afternoon snacks while you are spending your day enjoying the sun and the sand.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Flamingo Bay is typically very calm and ideal for stand-up paddle boarding and sea kayaking. The coastline here is beautiful, the water is often clear, and spotting marine wildlife is not uncommon. At certain times of the year, humpback whales and sea turtles are abundant. You can rent paddle boards and kayaks and set off on your own, or take a guided tour of the bay and the surrounding coastlines.
Catamaran sunset cruise
One of the most popular activities to do while you’re in Playa Flamingo is a sunset catamaran cruise. There are several different tour operators, but they all offer more or less the same tour. You will typically leave at midday from the marina in Playa Flamingo and set off on a cruise to a protected bay, where you will have some time to snorkel, swim in the sea, indulge in some adult beverages, and eat a delicious and locally inspired lunch, before sailing off to see one of Costa Rica’s famous sunsets and then returning to the shore.
Catch your dinner
The open ocean around Playa Flamingo is rich with fish. Sports fishing is another popular activity with those who want to spend the day at sea and come home with freshly caught fish for dinner. Mahi mahi, tuna, and snapper are common catches up in the northern Pacific region of Costa Rica. Make sure that you only catch what you are going to eat, to help keep this part of Costa Rica rich with fish. Spending the day way out in the ocean is also a great opportunity to spot humpback whales, pilot whales, dolphins, rays, and sea turtles.
Dive the Catalina Islands
The Catalina Islands are located just offshore of Playa Flamingo, and indeed, from certain vantage points, you can see them from the mainland. The Catalina Islands are one of the best places in Costa Rica to go scuba diving and snorkeling. There is an abundance of tropical fish around these islands, and whale sharks, other types of sharks, rays, and sea turtles are also common residents here. Spending the day diving these islands is a unique opportunity to observe some of Costa Rica’s fascinating marine life.
Full-day land adventure tour
Playa Flamingo is a great starting point to set off on an all-day adventure tour. There are several places, including Diamonte Eco Adventure Park and Pura Aventura, where you can go canopy zip lining, horseback riding, hiking, and ATVing. It is even possible to do multiple activities in one day. Diamonte Adventure Park also has hanging bridges, a botanical garden, and an animal rescue center.
Costa Rica Sailing Center
Located just up the road to the north, in Playa Potrero, is the Costa Rica Sailing Center. This is an amazing place to spend the day and one that the entire family will enjoy. The Costa Rica Sailing Center offers sailboat, kayak, and paddle board rentals, sailing lessons, and yoga classes. There is also a restaurant, bar, swimming pool, and volleyball net. Throughout the week there are community events like bingo, trivia, themed parties, sunset bonfires, and live music. It’s a one-stop shop for all-day fun!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.