The aquatic territories in Costa Rica, both fresh and saltwater, are quite abundant in fish. For this reason, both novice and expert level anglers from around the world are lured to Costa Rica with fish on the brain. Read on for the top spots to go fishing in Costa Rica.
Before you go, know…
Fishing in Costa Rica requires a fishing license, which can be purchased for around $15 for up to 8 days and is often included with your half or full day charter. It is important that you only catch what you are going to eat and release sailfish, marlin, rooster fish, and sharks. Unfortunately, a lot of illegal fishing takes place, mainly by international fishing fleets, around Costa Rica and the numbers of sharks, tuna, dorado, and other high demand fish populations are rapidly declining. Enjoy your time out on the water, catch some dinner, and leave the sea in peace and plentitude.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jaco/Los Sueños Marina
Sport fishing in Costa Rica has long been synonymous with Los Sueños Marina in Jaco. It was the first government sanctioned marina in Costa Rica and is home to 200 wet slips and 116 dry slips and a fleet of luxury fishing yachts and boats. While there is great fishing all year around in the Central Pacific in Costa Rica, December through March are the best months for catch and release fishing of blue marlin, black marlin, sailfish, and rooster fish.
Quepos/Marina Pez Vela
Quepos holds the title of the “Sailfish Capital of the World.” As part of the Osa Peninsula, the waters here are especially rich in marine life. Snapper, dorado, marlin, and rooster fish are also common catches in this zone. In 2014, Marina Pez Vela held the Offshore World Championship. Quepos is very close to the Manuel Antonio National Park, so parlaying a rainforest adventure after your fishing day is very convenient and makes for an incredible itinerary.
Gulfo Dulce/Crocodile Bay
Just outside of Puerto Jimenez in the far southern part of the Osa Peninsula is Gulfo Dulce. Gulfo Dulce, or sweet gulf, received its name because multiple freshwater rivers and streams empty out into the bay. This area has been highly protected and has strict fishing regulations. For this reason, the fish populations are booming here and embarking on a fishing charter in this gulf is almost always fruitful. The Crocodile Bay Sport Fishing Resort is a famous eco resort that specializes in fishing this remote and astonishingly beautiful area of Costa Rica. Cubera, snapper, amberjack, grouper, African pompano, and trevally are a few of the most popular catches within Gulfo Dulce.
February through May and September and October are prime months for tarpon and snook fishing on the Northern Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. This remote coastline is only accessible by boat or small plane. It is also home to the largest population of sea turtles in Costa Rica; all four species of sea turtles in Costa Rica nest here and the waters are teeming with fish. This is a dream fishing destination for those interested in hooking a 100 pound plus tarpon. Tortuguero also has a healthy population of fresh water fish.
Gulf of Papagayo/Marina Papagayo
Up in the northwestern region of Costa Rica is the Gulf of Papagayo. From December to March, the Papagayo trade winds can be incredibly strong, which makes the conditions for fishing up here poor. However, once June rolls around the waters start bursting to life. June through October is an excellent time to fish up here. Some of the biggest rooster fish can be found in the gulf, as well as marlin, sailfish, tuna, and dorado. The Marina Papagayo is the newest marina in Costa Rica and was built with the environment in mind.
Tamarindo/Tamarindo Charter Company
Tamarindo is one of the premier deep sea fishing destinations in Guanacaste. The fishing is great in this area all year around, however, the type of fish that you will catch will change from month to month. From May through September, blue and black marlin are the most prevalent; April to August sailfish are in season; June through September yellowfin tuna are abundant; while snapper stick around all year. The Tamarindo Charter Company reigns supreme as the best charter company to embark on a full day or half day trip with when you are staying in the Playa Tamarindo, Playa Langosta, Playa Avellenas, Playa Negra, Playa Grande, or Playa Negra area and are keen on catching some fish.
Lake Arenal/La Fortuna
For the fresh water lovers out there, Lake Arenal is a fantastic place to go fishing. Rainbow bass, machaca, and mojarra are the three most popular fish to catch in the lake. From the lake, you will have views of the Arenal Volcano and the lush countryside. The conditions are typically way more mellow on the lake than out at sea, which makes this a better choice for families with young children or for those who are prone to sea sickness. The location of this fishing ground is also very convenient for exploring the La Fortuna/Arenal area, which is famous for its hot springs, volcano hiking, hanging bridges, waterfalls, zip lining, and birding.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.