There are few places on earth as enchanting as Puerto Rico and there’s no better time to experience its magic than right now. From basking in year-round sunshine to enjoying a slower, more sustainable adventure vacation, Puerto Rico offers an eco-conscious trip in paradise. Here’s why you should visit right now.
1. To enjoy a variety of exhilarating outdoor activities
From cantering down powdery beaches on horseback to zip-lining above rainforest treetops, Puerto Rico is packed with exhilarating outdoor activities. Head north to explore the Río Camuy Cave Park, a network of natural limestone caves and underground waterways carved by one of the largest underground rivers in the world. Appreciate delicate ecosystems on a trek through El Yunque (the only tropical rainforest in the US National Forest Service) or traverse mountains, waterfalls and ravines on a canyoning tour along the Tanamá River in Utuado.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
2. To experience some of the best beaches in the world
If you’re a wildlife wanderer, Playa Flamenco on Isla de Culebra (14mi/22.5km east of Puerto Rico) is the place to go. More than a third of it is designated a national wildlife refuge – a unique ecosystem of forests, coral reefs (pack a snorkel), mangroves, lagoons and beaches. If you’re a surfer, there’s Playa Crash Boat, an ideal spot to frolic in the sea or catch waves. Cabo Rojo, on the southwesterly tip of Puerto Rico, is a quiet stretch of coastline with calmer waters. If you visit, catch the sunset from the lighthouse – the views are unbeatable.
3. To kayak through bioluminescent bays
You won’t be short on slow and sustainable adventures in Puerto Rico, starting with kayaking through magical bioluminescent bays. There are five places in the world where you can get up close with this fluorescent phenomenon and you’ll find three of them in Puerto Rico – Mosquito Bay, Laguna Grande and La Parguera. Glide along the surface and watch as sparks light the water around you.
4. To feast on mouthwatering Puerto Rican food
Puerto Rican cuisine is a celebration of culture. Expect fresh seafood in abundance, plus succulent meats, just-picked fruit and hearty stews (best washed down with a cold rum punch). For meat-eaters, a traditional loaded tripleta sandwich is as good as it gets; it’s commonly made with a triple serving of meats – marinated pan-seared steak, shredded or sliced pork, and sliced ham – doused in cheese, mayonnaise and ketchup. Mofongo is a must – it’s made with mashed plantains fried with lots of garlic and crispy pork skin – as are bacalaitos, deep-fried crispy salt cod fritters.
5. To soak up history and heritage
It’s not all about the beaches here – though they’re reason enough to visit. A lively atmosphere is the result of many wonderful cultures fused together over the last 500 years. Head to Old San Juan to see architecture that beautifully depicts the different eras. Expect bright colonial-style houses, plus neoclassical, gothic and baroque buildings scattered throughout the region (it’s home to more than 400 historic structures). If you want to learn more about the history of Puerto Rico, stop by the San Juan National Historic Site.
6. To stay in eco-bliss
There’s a growing number of green hotels and resorts popping up in Puerto Rico, making it easier to leave a smaller footprint and travel more responsibly. Bask in barefoot luxury at Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, on a former plantation. This premium resort promises a remote escape with a genuine respect for the environment. If you’re a foodie, there’s one place in particular that’s doing everything right, El Pretexto. It’s a farm-stay in the depths of the Cayey mountains that’s got the balance of green and glam just right. It’s all about the food here: the menu is exclusively for guests and is a celebration of Puerto Rican agriculture.
7. To bask in gorgeous weather
Every day is summer in Puerto Rico, and even when it rains on one side of the island, there’s always another part gleaming with sunshine. The reliable weather lends itself perfectly to outdoor activities. Go in search of paradise in Guánica, in the southwest, and explore a wonderful dry coastal forest. It’s home to hundreds of plant and animal species, some of which are endangered, including the Puerto Rican nightjar and the Puerto Rican boa. Here you can explore 9,000 acres (3,640ha) of land amid sandy coastal areas, mangroves and dense forest. If water activities are more your thing, grab a snorkel and explore one of the many flourishing multicolored coral reefs.
8. To volunteer and help preserve the island
There are many ways you can give back to the community and leave the Island of Enchantment better than you found it – from lending a helping hand with chef José Andrés’s World Central Kitchen, an organization that provides meals for victims of humanitarian, climate and community crises, to showing up at a local beach clean-up. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy paradise with a lighter conscience, to shrink your footprint and help preserve Puerto Rico.
Get planning your ecofriendly adventure in Puerto Rico at discoverpuertorico.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.