Curry goat is a fixture on menus across Jamaica. Served with white rice, rice and peas or roasted breadfruit, no event or party would be considered complete without this dish being served. Goats are everywhere in Kingston, not just on the menu; visitors to Kingston can expect to see herds of goats roaming randomly up a busy city street. Some would argue that the best place to find this traditional Caribbean dish is in rural Jamaica rather than the big city. Nevertheless, Kingstonians serve up some mouthwatering curry goat. Here, Culture Trip hits the goat trail and discovers the best places for curry goat in Kingston.
One of Kingston’s premier tourist attractions, Devon House, has converted its brick built servant’s quarters into shops and restaurants. Grog Shoppe is the best of them, surrounded by lush green palms with inside and outside seating areas. Serving a large of range both international and Jamaican fare, there’s plenty for patrons to choose from. The curry goat with rice and peas is the most popular dish on the menu — succulent, juicy and tasty, it’s easy to see why.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Grog Shoppe, Devon House, 26 Hope Rd, Kingston, Jamaica +1 876 929 6602
It’s no secret that the best curry goat is found in downtown Kingston. Wholesome Café, located in the heart of downtown, serves some of the best curry goat in the area. This little eaterie serves super-tender curry goat with rice and salad. There are daily specials and with most meals costing under $8; all you have to worry about is leaving room for pudding!
Wholesome Café, 14 Ocean Blvd, Kingston, Jamaica +1 876 394 6490
Sonia’s Homestyle Cooking N Natural Juices
Sonia’s is a local downtown favorite offering traditional Jamaican food that tastes just like granny used to make. Tripe and beans, saltfish fritters, sailfish with callaloo and of course curry goat feature regularly on the menu. Try it with one of its delicious natural juices. The menu changes daily, so if you are after a goat fix, call before you go there.
Sonia’s, 17 Central Avenue, Kingston, Jamaica +1 876 929 2435
Moby Dick Restaurant
Located by the waterfront in downtown Kingston is Moby Dick Restaurant. It’s a bit of a trek but has some of the best curried goat on offer in Kingston. Perhaps combine it with a visit to the excellent National Gallery of Jamaica, which is located only a block away. Moby Dick also serves up an array of other Jamaican chicken and beef curries.
Moby Dick Restaurant, 43 Port Royal Street, Kingston, Jamaica +1 876 922 4468
Well known for its catering service, Chungs has three branches: Harbour Street, Maxfield Avenue and Tangerine Place, all of which offer quick dining and takeout. Chungs serves Chinese, international and Jamaican fare. The curry goat is a winner every time here, served with rice and peas, green banana and salad, and is enough to satisfy even the hungriest belly. Open Monday to Friday and very popular with office workers, you’ll often see its delivery van dropping off takeaways at banks and businesses around the capital.
Chungs, 82-82 Harbour Street, Kingston, Jamaica +1 876 948 9138
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.