Jamaica has it all, no matter what’s on your island itinerary. Whether you’re looking for adventure – from cliff jumping to night swimming in phosphorescent water to zip-lining through the jungle – or for relaxing vacation moments – from sunbathing on the beach to sipping cocktails at sunset to floating down a river, you’re sure to have a great time. Here are some of the best things to do in Jamaica.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Be mesmerized by a rare natural wonder at Glistening Waters. This phosphorescent body of water glows at night due to microorganisms that create a luminous effect when the water is disturbed. Dinoflagellates, the glowing organisms in the lagoon, were discovered by scientists in the 18th century. Several tour operators offer night-time boat rides through the lagoon, and you can even jump in to witness the sparkling phenomena up close and personal. The spectacular glow-in-the-dark effect will make you feel like you’re swimming through a sea of stars.
Martha Brae River Rafting
Head inland to experience Jamaica’s tropical interior on the freshwater Martha Brae River. Peacefully floating on a handmade bamboo raft on the three-mile river is a quintessential Jamaican experience. A local river captain will maneuver your raft and point out local flora and fauna. There are a few small rapids, but don’t worry, your guide will let you know when it’s safe to jump in for a swim and cool down in the refreshing, crisp water.
Joy Spence Appleton Rum Estate Experience
Rum and Jamaica go hand-in-hand. Get to know the preferred spirit on the island by taking a tour at Appleton Estate in the Nassau Valley, which has been operating for 265 years. The Joy Spence Appleton Estate Rum Experience is a multi-sensory learning program about the world-famous Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum range. You’ll see the entire rum-making process – from sugar cane to the beloved rum. Yes, there will be rum tasting and cocktails.
Rick’s Cafe is one of the most popular places to visit in Jamaica. Tucked away high on the cliffs outside of Negril, this place attracts patrons due to its incredible coastal views, celebrated flavorful Jamaican cuisine, strong traditional Jamaican cocktails and buckets of the beloved local Red Stripe beer. Folks stick around to take in the phenomenal sunsets over the Caribbean Sea, relax on the edge of the cliff and witness the awe-inspiring cliff divers as they jump off the 35-ft-(11-m-)high cliffs. Don’t forget to bring your swimsuit, as diners are welcome to use the swimming pool.
Chukka Caribbean Adventures
If you’re after an adrenaline rush, book a tour with Chukka Caribbean Adventures in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Falmouth or Negril. Pick your adventure from an array of exciting options including cliff jumping, ATV rides, zip-lining, river tubing, whitewater rafting and much more. Opt for the Chukka tours at the historic Good Hope Estate in Falmouth to enjoy swimming pools after your adventure. The former sugar plantation is located on 2,000 acres (809 hectares) of jungle.
Located in the lush rainforest of Ocho Rios, the 700-ft (213-m) Mystic Mountain is a nature theme park offering a range of family-friendly adventure rides. The adventure park features birdwatching activities, zip-line courses, water slides and sweeping unobstructed views of the surrounding jungle on a romantic chairlift canopy ride. Mystic Mountain is the best place in Jamaica to go bobsledding – a popular sport on the tropical island that is usually reserved for winter destinations. Hop in a bobsled for a rollercoaster-like experience as you glide along the track in a brake-controlled sled.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.