Haiti is a piece of paradise taken straight from the movies, with turqoise waves gently lapping at golden shores, misty mountaintops peeking through lush vegetation and spectacular sunsets blanketing the landscape in vivid color. It is located on the second largest island in the Caribbean, Hispaniola, and shares its idyllic setting with the Dominican Republic. If looking for enthralling historical monuments as well as blissful beach beauty, then Haiti is the place to be. Here’s our guide to the most stunning spots in the region.
Bassin Bleu is a blissfully secluded waterfall on the hills of Jacmel, Haiti. Travelers can follow a trail to the basin and spend a day jumping from the waterfalls, swimming in the turqoise water and enjoying the cool cover of the lush vegetation. The privacy of the spot makes it feel like paradise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address: Bassin-Bleu, Sud-Est, Haiti
Labadee is a private port, and a secluded piece of paradise. Owned by the Royal Caribbean International cruise company, the white sandy beaches and crystal water here make it one of the most enchanting destinations on the island. Besides relaxing on the beach by the blue sea, visitors can shop from a selection of Haitian vendors, participate in watersports or try their hand at a zipline.
Address: Labadee, Nord, Haiti
Kokoye beach is the idyllic Caribbean haven replicated in holiday brochures worldwide, with fine white sand, turqoise waters and tall, luscious palm trees swaying lazily in the warm breeze. The beach is a top spot for snorkelling, and is a good choice for those wanting to avoid a tummult of tourists; access is only possible via boat or by hiking.
Address: Ravline Paques, Petit Goave, Haiti
Gelee Beach is the longest and most romantic stretch of sand in Haiti, with fishing boats bobbing on the horizon and the sweet smell of coconuts in the air. A number of excellent seafood restaurants offer daily deals nearby, and during August the place is packed with enthusiastic dancers and musicians for the Fete Notre Dame festival. A few meters beyond Gelee lie open pasturelands, so don’t be surprised to see a roaming cow or two.
Address: Les Cayes, Haiti
The largest waterfall in the area, Saut-Mathurine is an alluring cascade in the southwest region of Haiti. The Rivière de Cavaillon provides the source for the waterfall’s stream, and its aqua waters are easily accessible for paddling and swimming. The drive to Saut-Mathurine offers beautiful views of the country and the lush greenery on all sides.
Address: Camp Perrin, Sud, Haiti
Try a zipline in Haiti and enjoy a stunning aerial view of the lush tropical environment and crystal water. Offering a birds-eye view unavailable to walkers, the Dragon’s Breath Flight Line is a particularly popular option on the island, incorporating a drop from the mountaintops down to the beach of Labadee.
This Catholic Cathedral is situated in Cap-Haitien, and is a pretty and peaceful place to relax after exploring the surrounding scenery of the colonial town. There is a small park in the front of the church, and the towering white walls are striking against the rows of humble houses all aound. The high-domed interior makes the cathedral equally appealing both inside and outside.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.