Often called the ‘the Bob Marley of Haiti,’ Karlex Antoine has become an established musician known for his bold and impassioned brand of ethno musicality. His radically diverse approach combined with poetic lyrics has always infused the critically acclaimed singer-songwriter’s compositions, turning regional music styles into universal anthems.
Karlex Antoine’s music and complex emotional lyrics are inspiring in light of the turmoil, poverty and harsh political conditions in Haiti where he grew up. Born in the city of Cap Haitian, he describes his childhood as simple and carefree, despite the tumult of life under a dictatorship. His two uncles were musicians in bands and his mother was the musical director of the local church choir, which explains the root of his soulful singing style. These family influences allowed him to concentrate on having fun, immersing himself in music. After he was given his first guitar as a child, Karlex started writing songs at a rapid pace. ‘Very often I say, I did not write my songs but they found me,’ Karlex explains. His songs are not about the struggles, but instead about finding joy and happiness even in the most difficult of circumstances. The process of performing and song writing is his own personal quest for freedom and liberty.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
His latest album titled Paris / New York / Port-Au-Prince (Lil’ People Records) is an affirmation of what Karlex feels like as an individual. He doesn’t see himself as French, American or Haitian, but a mixture of all three. He takes the same approach towards his music style and uses influences from all over the world. With the artist’s rich selection of sounds merged into this album and the assortment of cultures, Karlex creates a diverse sound that is brilliantly unique. His music draws from Black American music (jazz, soul, funk), dub and Afrobeat, as well as sounds from his native Haiti. The album came together when Karlex combined his strong Haitian roots with the ever-evolving music scene of the United States, which he came into contact with after making frequent visits to America as a teenager. He then infused both of these with the rich culture of France, where he currently resides. As a result, Karlex has successfully and fluidly intermingled these influences into something he calls ‘Afro Groove,’ which he exposes in depth throughout this release.
‘I’ve always listened to all kinds of music. I never wanted to be restrained to one single style,’ he explains. ‘On this album, I decided to go wherever my inspiration took me – this album is a result of influences from all across the board.’
There is a captivating diversity to be discovered with this artist, one of the most obvious examples being the fact that he alternates his lyrics between French, English and Haitian Creole. His lyrics are emotionally complex, charged with themes of love, loss, loneliness and hope, making it understandable to anyone despite any language barriers. From the album Paris / New York / Port-Au-Prince the song ‘Regarder La Verite’ opens with a jaunty beat and earthy vocals that reflect a slight reggae tone and dreamy, nostalgic folk-rock with an Americana foundation. In contrast with this, the track ‘Restavek’ begins with electronica and dance-laden percussion that is hip-hop focused. Rap vocals also feature and are accompanied by swift guitar-work and urban lyrics that are driven by the instrumentation. Then, again highlighting his dexterity of styles, the inspiring ‘Ca Moin Oue’ is a beautiful example of proud Afrobeat, rich with meaning and uplifting hooks. ‘Haitians have a very philosophical way to live their hard reality,’ says Karlex, ‘they always say tomorrow will be better, and always finding the strength to keep dancing. I wanted to have a joyful song to speak about this.’
Watch this video of Karlex performing ‘I Ned Maroon’ From the album ‘With All Due Respect’
From the experience of living in all the countries that inspired this latest release, Karlex has witnessed first hand the culture clashes and conflicts between them. His methodology focuses on seeing things in grey, rather than black and white, and this is what Paris / New York / Port-Au-Prince does so well, both stylistically and philosophically.
By Eleanor Cunningham
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.