Often overlooked as a mere stopover en route from St Barts to Martinique, Bas-du-Fort, Guadeloupe, is gaining recognition as a destination in its own right. With traditional Creole foods and delicious drinks with sea views all offered within a few metres of the marina, you’ve no excuse not to dive into a plate of fresh lobster during your time in this charming seaside town. Bring a bib when visiting the best waterside restaurants in Bas-du-Fort.
Planning a trip to the Caribbean? Join us on a sailing adventure in the Bahamas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whether you spy the menu from the marina boardwalk or are happy to coast by and spot a plate of coquilles Saint Jacques and fries on someone’s plate, you shouldn’t be surprised if La Frégate draws you inside. A taste of the Antilles awaits you; the only problem is narrowing down your order. Your fellow diners will rave about the black pudding; the visitors longing for a taste of home may sway you towards the chicken Colombo with sweet potato fries.
La Route du Rhum
Your yacht doesn’t need to be speeding through the Route du Rhum race to qualify for a drink at La Route du Rhum. Every rum cocktail imaginable – from a mai tai to a Gwada coffee – is a winner in our book. Their food menu is far from a runner-up: tuna steak and sauteed duck breast are just two of the local favorites vying for the gold.
Hang around Coco Kafe long enough and you might turn into a local. There’s no cooler place to lose track of time chatting with strangers than under the large umbrellas of the grassy terrace. Feel free to peruse the menu, though you’ll quickly hone in on one of their spreads: an appetizer of shrimp tails and tuna tartare, a souffle chicken supreme with foie gras and mushroom duxelles entrée, and soft bitter chocolate with English sauce for dessert.
It’s wine o’clock at Le 9 no matter when you arrive. Trust the master sommelier to pair a fine wine, whisky, aged rum, cognac, or cigar with every scrumptious dish on the menu. A slightly seared tuna tataki, a red snapper with citrus crust, and a Breton puck topped with an apple flambée, vanilla ice cream, and salted butter caramel mousse, each paired with the perfect drink.
Seven WI Restaurant & Lounge
Tropical. Lobster. Tagliatelle. You need no other reason to make a beeline to Seven WI, but we’ll share more just for good measure. This bar and lounge just around the corner from the marina makes it a must even during a short refuel stop. You’ll always have a good seat for sunset and the coloured lights reflecting off of the black waters of the bay set the vibe.
You could hop right from your boat deck into a seat at Quai-Ouest. Sharing the boardwalk with Marina Bas-du-Fort, it’s a given that seafood is always the right choice at this waterfront restaurant. What you won’t expect is the decadent dessert menu that may tempt you to skip the sweetbreads and confit duck Parmentier. Chocolate mousse, caramelized custard pudding, and rum baba are all winners.
Your sailing buddies back at the yacht club will be shocked that you rerouted your course to Bas-du-Fort to eat pizza at Le Jiss. Tell them to trim their jib and see for themselves why a sweet duck cream-base pizza is worth a few days at sea. Better yet, send them a picture with a slice in one hand and a Cuba libre in the other, with the water sparkling behind you, of course.
La Cabane du Pêcheur
The worst part of leaving port in Bas-du-Fort will be sailing away from the lobster andouille at La Cabane du Pêcheur. It’s a meal that won’t last long enough, yet it’s sublimely filling to send you to an early bedtime. Lucky for you, Hotel Fleur d’Epee has a room for you a crab walk away, which means you’ll be able to grab a second helping to go the next day.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.