The two main islands of Guadeloupe – Grande-Terre and Basse-Terre – unfurl across the Caribbean sea like open butterfly wings. With rolling hillsides of sugarcane, bays of crystal-clear turquoise water flanked by soft-sand beaches, broad anchorages, fine French restaurants and cafés, this French overseas territory is a fantastic yachting destination. From the anchorages at Pointe-à-Pitre, motorboats can make it to the outer islands of Marie-Galante, Le Saintes, Petite Terre and La Désirade – and back – in a day. Although the islands are tantalisingly close and very much worth a visit, those on sailboats may want to spend the night.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pointe-à-Pitre and Rivière Salée
Don’t miss the opportunity to explore Pointe-à-Pitre. Admire the architecture and discover the wonders of La Darse market – where tables overflow with heaped bags of freshly-ground spices, bright red spiny lobsters, fresh fruits and vegetables and bottles of punches and liqueurs. When you’ve had enough of the city, kayak or dinghy up the winding, mangrove-lined Rivière Salée – where kingfishers and herons dart between the trees and snakes curl up in the crooks of branches.
Îlet du Gosier
Just 3mi (4.8km) from Pointé-a-Pitre is the coastal town and small offshore island of Gosier. Head ashore for a local Creole lunch inland, or stick to the beach – Casa Datcha is a popular spot, with bean bags and beach blankets to lounge on while enjoying a frozé or four. Zip across to the small, bushy offshore island to explore the reef, or check out the quaint, traditional lighthouse among the footpaths.
For a quiet day of relaxing on the water, beachcombing, sunbathing and snorkelling, visit Petit-Havre – just along the coast from Gosier. This long, shallow bay has a beach at each end – the eastern one is backed by a small town and is popular on weekends, while the western is much more secluded. Snorkel amongst the seagrass beds in the bay or, if it’s calm, explore the reef out around the rocky offshore island.
Sainte-Anne is a lively holiday area where children frolic in the calm water of the stone breakwaters, windsurfers glide along the horizon and visitors mull through vibrant beachfront shops, market vendors and restaurants. When the heat of the day hits, visit Fabienne Youyoutte’s pâtisserie, Désirs du Palais, for homemade sorbet, ice cream and other sweet treats. Savour multiple local flavours including tamarind, mango and coconut.
Petite Terre Islands
This spectacular national park consists of two low-lying islands: a channel of seemingly endless bright blue water stretches between them, with a shallow protected bay where rays, juvenile – and harmless – nurse sharks, and tropical fish take refuge. Pack up a lunch and spend the day snorkelling in the bay and exploring the paths ashore, where iguanas sun themselves on the warm rocks.
The largest offshore island of Guadeloupe is a popular weekend getaway with well-preserved 18th-century ruins, charming seaside villages and long stretches of idyllic palm-lined beaches. Pass the main anchorage of Saint-Louis and anchor just north, among the quiet Anse Canot beaches. For some history, head around to the southeast and visit L’habitation Murât. Set against the backdrop of the ocean, this beautifully restored sugar cane plantation and distillery is now a museum of colonial history.
This series of mountainous islands are a pleasure to explore – where emerald green hillsides contrast with the deep blues of the water, broken only by the reds and browns of sheer cliff faces. Stop in the only major town, Bourg des Saintes, with its narrow, picturesque streets lined with boutiques and restaurants and take the short walk to Fort Napoleon for a commanding view of the bay. When it’s time to rest, sail over to the neighbouring islands of Îlet à Cabrit or Terre-de-Bas for some peace.
Far off the tourist track, this windswept island off the eastern point of Guadeloupe has a single, humble town – and is a place of quiet and unpretentious beauty. To best experience it, rent a scooter in town and take the central ridge road across the length of the island to the nature reserve – with breathtaking vistas of the coastline far below. Take the coastal road back, stopping for lunch at one of the many local Creole restaurants: try Rose-Ita or Lagranlag.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.