The French Caribbean archipelago of Guadeloupe offers multiple destinations in one. Some of the main islands include Basse-Terre, Grande-Terre, Marie Galante, Les Saintes and La Désirade, and each has its own unique character, but stunning beaches, jungle interiors, azure waters and a sense of joie de vivre are constants. There’s also a fine spread of accommodation options that let you experience island life at its finest, and are easily accessible for people with disabilities or those who use a wheelchair. Here, we reveal some of the best bungalow and hotel options – bookable on Culture Trip.
Overlooking the sea in the Deshaies area, just 3km (2mi) from Grande Anse, the longest beach in Guadeloupe, these picture-perfect Creole cottages promise to charm. There are nine ecolodges in total, nestled amid lush foliage. Each house – including one that sleeps up to eight – features a terrace with a barbecue, a fully equipped kitchen, comfy bedrooms and relaxing sofas. The free internet access will help you keep your Instagram content rolling. If you’re looking for something particularly characterful, the Pirate’s Hut cottage features a private jacuzzi in a boat, while the house named Pearl is the best and most easily accessible for people with reduced mobility. A stay in this area of Basse-Terre will allow you to discover the Deshaies Botanical Garden, while the golden sands of Anse Tillet beach are perfect for sunbathing. Masks and snorkels are also available to rent from your holiday cottage.
Expect a sunny vacation vibe from the get-go at this bungalow complex. The property, located 5km (3mi) from the coastal town of St François on Grand-Terre, serves up a characterful mix of studios, bungalows and villas that are a true taste of the Caribbean. The studios and bungalows are the best options for those in a wheelchair, with direct access into the properties from the beautiful grounds, via your own outdoor balcony.
The on-site open-air restaurant offers traditional Creole dishes and catch fresh from the sea. For a daytime pick-me-up, a colourful beachside shack has a spread of salads, sandwiches, ice creams and drinks to choose from. Spend your days enjoying the lush surroundings, taking a dip in the pool, lounging on the beach or enjoying your lodge and its private garden or terrace space.
When it comes to exploring the local area, St François is worth a jaunt with its collection of stores stocking local goods, marina and lively night market. And for some secluded tanning time, try the palm-fringed white sands of Raisins Clairs beach, or the more windswept reaches of Anse à la Gourde.
Book this family-friendly bungalow and you’ll have the whole home to yourself. The characterful property is just a few steps from the spectacular beach of Mancellinier, so you can roll straight out of bed and onto the blissful white sands. As well as being a sublime spot to pitch your beach towel, this sweep of coast is a well-known spot for snorkelling and scuba diving.
If you tire of the beach, the villa has its own outdoor pool and sunning deck. Moving around the property is easy due to its open-plan nature, with a large kitchen that spills out to the outdoor areas, and quick access through the side gate. Other features of the two-bed property include air conditioning, and free parking. Nearby attractions include the charming coastal town of St François, the international golf course and the scenic Plage des Rouleaux.
Inject a little romance into your Guadeloupe getaway with a stay at this all-suite property, which has easy wheelchair access and rooms for those with reduced mobility. Each unit, including those on the ground floor, comes decked out with its own whirlpool spa and exotic garden. All the apartments feature furniture crafted from local materials, from driftwood bedheads to sinks carved from boulders, while whitewashed walls create a bright and breezy feeling.
Other perks of staying at the Majesty Palm include a delicious tropical breakfast served either at the edge of your pool or on your private terrace; other meals can also be arranged. If you’re venturing out to the beach, a picnic hamper can be made up for you.
There is a concierge desk at the property to arrange trips, but some of the attractions on your doorstep include the famous casino of St François, an international golf course and the spectacular beaches close to Pointe des Châteaux peninsula, one of the best observation points in the Caribbean.
For more examples of Guadeloupe places to stay that welcome everyone with open arms, see the best hotels for every kind of traveller in Guadeloupe, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.