The Dominican Republic has a wide mix of cuisine, which makes it one of the best countries in the Caribbean for experiencing new food. There, restaurant goers can find restaurants that specialize in French, Spanish, Creole, Italian cuisine as well as many restaurants that utilize the natural resources of the island to provide unique dining experiences.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Restaurante Don Pepe
Don Pepe has been operating for three decades and is one of the most traditional restaurants in the Dominican Republic. Ranked as one of the top restaurants in Santo Domingo, Don Pepe specializes in traditional-Spanish cuisine but also offers international recipes. Some of its best recipes include its grilled beef and its numerous seafood recipes. It is also well-known for having over 500 offerings of red wines from Spain.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
El Mesón de la Cava
El Mesón de la Cava opened in 1967 and can be found in a natural-limestone cave carved by waves crashing along the coastline for millions of years. Before becoming a restaurant, this cave used to be home for a group of Taíno Indians who discovered the island as well as pirates and buccaneers who used it as a hideout. It is well known for its unique dining experience, and it serves a wide variety of seafood and international cuisine.
Passion by Martin Berasategui
Passion’s owner and lead chef, Martín Berasategui, comes from San Sebastián in the Spanish Basque. He brought some of the recipes that he learned to the Dominican Republic with the purpose of creating the best fine-dining experience in the country. One of the best options is the seven-course tasting menu, where patrons may encounter meals such as truffled ravioli, crusted salmon with fennel beads, chocolate olives and basil, slow-cooked pressed veal cheek with romesco sauce, and more.
La Yola Restaurant
La Yola is a AAA Three Diamond Award-winning restaurant. Well known for serving fresh Mediterranean cuisine, seafood, and vegetables grown from their own in-house organic garden, guest can enjoy a wide range of meals in a beautiful seaside setting. Located on the perches near the sea at the Punta Cana Resort & Club Marina, La Yola overlooks the sparkling-turquoise waters.
A small, natural restaurant, Le Papillion offers a unique atmosphere: big aquariums, driftwood, and historic and eccentric decorations all work together to offer an interesting experience. The owner and chef, Thomas Ackermann, is an executive chef in Germany and Switzerland and has experience serving on international cruise lines. His menu is full of international cuisine that caters to all sorts of tastes.
Los Tres Cocos
Located in Cofresi, Los Tres Cocos is known for its great food and friendly atmosphere. Menu items contain unique options such as liver dumpling soup and duck breast in orange sauce.
Bliss Restaurant Lounge Bar Pool
Bliss offers a menu of a fusion of Italian and International cuisine. Known for its tranquil atmosphere, patrons will see a small Buddha statue overlooking a small-swimming pool when they enter the restaurant. It’s a great place to have a quiet, peaceful evening.
Le Tre Caravelle
Le Tre Caravelle was inspired by Christopher Columbus and Hispaniola’s discovery. Decorated similarly to the three caravels used in Columbus’s first journey to the New World, visitors can enjoy Italian pasta and meals made from imported meat and fish that are then usually prepared on the grill.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.