The markets in the Dominican Republic are a great place to find a wide variety of jewellery, groceries, gifts, souvenirs, and much more—all for a very reasonable price. When shopping at these marketplaces, make sure to bargain and barter prices as most vendors will be willing to negotiate in order to make the sale.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mercado Modelo (Santo Domingo)
Located in downtown Santo Domingo, The Mercado Modelo is the largest craft market in the capital. Food stalls that cater to the local shoppers surround the market, and it continues to be one of the most-popular local marketplaces in the country. Today, vendors tailor a majority of the items and prices to visitors, making it a great place for tourists to visit. Some items there include craft-country paintings, Dominican and Cuban cigars, liquors, keepsakes, jewelry, and much more.
Mercado Modelo (Santiago de los Caballeros)
Known for being safe and clean and located in the heart of downtown, this market offers a lot of jewelry. Visitors will find quality items here including cultural items such as religious souvenirs, cups, plates, frames, key chains, and more.
Cabarete Night Market (Cabarete)
This market in Cabarete sells their product in a relaxed and fun atmosphere every Sunday from 4-10 pm. Here, patrons can buy locally-handcrafted products such as artwork, clothing, and jewelry as well as lotions, potions, candles, and food. One of the best food items to try is the Honey Company’s “pinon”, which is a favorite among market visitors.
Bavaro Beach Flea Market
The Bavaro Beach Flea Market is one of the most-traditional Dominican markets in Punta Cana. At this market, visitors can find stalls that sell many different types of souvenirs such as magnets, masks, and much more. Its location on one of the country’s most popular beaches makes it very convenient for tourists.
Catuano Beach Flea Market
Another flea market located on a Dominican beach, visitors can find much of the common souvenir items sold at marketplaces from ceramic figurines and bracelets to boxes of Taino art. Some people who visit this marketplace in Bayahibe say it’s quite similar to Cortecito Square.
Pulga de Antiguedades in Plaza María de Toledo
Found in Santo Domingo, sales at this flea market take place every Sunday. Here, shoppers can find hundreds of vendors that sell goods that tailor both the day-to-day needs of Dominicans and souvenirs aimed at tourists. Craft and souvenir items range from extremely affordable to high-quality works by local artisans. Given the high volume of customers, items will usually be very overpriced. Be prepared to bargain or pay well overvalue.
Avenida Duarte Chinese Farmer’s Market
Avenida Duarte is one of only three Chinatown’s in the Caribbean. Located in the middle of Santo Domingo, visitors have the opportunity to buy authentic Chinese foods and commodities as well as enjoy a range of restaurants, jewellery stores, and even travel agencies.
Calle El Conde
Calle El Conde is part of the colonial section of Santo Domingo. Filled with shops and hotels and well decorated with flowers, visitors can walk through the historical district of the city while purchasing some local gifts.
Merca Santo Domingo
This food market provides an excellent place to buy a wide range of fresh meats and fish. Here, shoppers can get a wide variety of produce such as bananas, pineapples, and bell peppers as well as fresh seafood and poultry. Here, they also sell a large array of seasonings, perfect for those looking to do some cooking of their own.
Tailored towards visitors who are not interested in consumer goods or groceries, La Atarazan has a very high concentration of art galleries and jewellery stores compared to other locations. It also has a large number of nearby restaurants and cafés where visitors can stop and eat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.