Puerto Plata is the first custom built tourist destination in the Dominican Republic and is the ideal place for budget-conscious travelers. Puerto Plata has a large concentration of all-inclusive beachfront resorts and is well known for its numerous tourist attractions, making it very competitive with the country’s capital ( Santo Domingo) for the most visited city in the country.
Puerto Plata is well known for its white sand beaches and one of its most popular ones is Playa Dorada. Playa Dorada is Puerto Plata‘s tourist hub; it’s a huge resort complex located along a long stretching beach. It consists of several hotels, restaurants, a shopping center, and the Robert Trent Jones golf course. The warm waters and sun also make it ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Damajaqua Waterfalls are a series of 27 waterfalls and rock pools and is one of the biggest tourist attractions Puerto Plata has to offer. Tours of these waterfalls involve climbing up to the falls before sliding, swimming, or jumping down them.
Amber Museum of Puerto Plata
Amber is the national gem of the Dominican Republic and the Amber museum is meant to celebrate its beauty. This museum is set in a beautiful Victorian-style building and it displays several specimens of valuable Dominican amber, many of which have been fossilized with flora and fauna. It also has a gift shop, where you can purchase amber jewelry.
Fort San Felipe
Fort San Felipe is Puerto Plata‘s only remaining colonial structure and is one of the first European forts constructed in the Americas. It was built to fight off French and English pirates and remains today as a testament to the country’s colonial history. Inside you can find many interesting wartime artifacts as well as a small museum.
Zipline Adventure and Tropical Zoo
Zipline Adventure gives you an opportunity to see the lush green forestry of the Dominican Republic from a bird’s eye view that covers 2,408 meters or 7,900 feet via a steel cable. Combine this with a trip to a tropical petting zoo where you can pose for photos with resident animals, such as parrots and squirrel monkeys. This makes this adventure one of the better options for animal and nature lovers.
Puerto Plata‘s entertainment is enough to keep you going for weeks. All of the resorts have their own bars and discos which are free for guests and open to those who have purchased day passes. Here you can find spots like Sosua’s Ruby Lounge, which has live music and karaoke, as well as parties that spill out into the streets on most nights and Lax, Cabarete’s nightlife hub.
Puerto Plata‘s town displays a rich blend of multiple cultures. In the third week of June, Puerto Plata has a weeklong cultural festival that features merengue, blues, jazz, and folk concerts at San Felipe Fort. Troupes from Santo Domingo also perform traditional dances to African spiritual music and salsa.
Ocean World Adventures
Ocean World Adventures is a very popular water park that emphasizes visitor and animal interactions. In addition to numerous water slides and aquarium viewings, visitors will have the opportunity to swim with dolphins and other tropical fish, play with sea lions, pet sharks, and stingrays. Ocean World Adventures also provides viewings of some land animals, such as tropical birds and tigers.
Mount Isabel de Torres
Mount Isabel de Torres is a 2,600-foot mountain, making it the highest mountain in the Caribbean, and is accessed via a seven-minute cable car ride. At the top of the mountain, you can expect a spectacular view of Puerto Plata, flower-filled gardens, a restaurant, and a statue of Christ similar to the one in Rio de Janeiro.
Fun City Action Park
Fun City Action Park is the largest and most elaborate go-kart center in the Dominican Republic. It features three different tracks all in one location and over two dozen different types of go-karts to choose from.
Cabarete is the ideal place for people who are young, fit, and adventurous. The warm waters and consistently strong winds make this area one of the best in the world for windsurfing and kiteboarding. On top of the water sports, the four-mile white sand beach is lined with cafés, restaurants, and shops that make it a great place to visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.