For years the northernmost province of Vietnam was passed over for nearby Sapa, its more famous sibling to the west. However, as tour groups have inundated the mountain town, many travelers have come to realize that less crowded Ha Giang has even more to offer. For the adventurous out there, this is our guide to Vietnam’s most scenic province.
Almost any trip through Vietnam’s final frontier begins in the provincial capital of Ha Giang in the region’s west. The city, fringed by rising limestone peaks, sits on the banks of the Lo River. Although quite small, it’s a fun place to explore for a day before heading out into the wild. Guest houses and hotels can be found all along the river. For those looking to rent motorbikes, which is highly recommended, the city of Ha Giang is the place to do it. There are a number of shops near the train station and bikes can usually be rented for 200,000 VND a day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The next natural stop is the town of Dong Van, tucked away in the province’s far north. Much smaller then Ha Giang, Dong Van offers little more than a number of nice guesthouses and homestays. On Sundays, the valley town plays host to a lively market, frequented by ethnic Hmong, Tay, and Hun amongst others. Traditional dresses are worn and the market’s covered alleyways are a mix of brilliant, bouncing colors.
Meo Vac is smaller still and is generally the final stay on any Ha Giang Loop. Most of the action takes place around the town square, where there are a few guesthouses and hotels. The town is always a vibrant assortment of different minority women and there’s also a fun Sunday market.
Trekking and hiking
The landscape in Ha Giang is overwhelmingly beautiful. Limestone ridged mountains rise up in pyramidal shapes before sinking to hundred-foot mounds and then climbing once more to 5,000-foot peaks. Rice terraces slice along precariously steep mountainsides, hanging over blue snaking rivers, beneath blood-curdling bends. Colorful farmland climbs to rocky, edged cliffs before rolling off to distant pine forests.
The area encompassing Dong Van and Meo Vac, sharing a border with China, is known as the Dong Van Karst Plateau. A UNESCO Global Geopark, the jagged rocky outcroppings and undulating hills look like something from a mad man’s paint brush.
The region offers some of the best and most unique trekking in all of Vietnam. Many tours set out from Dong Van and can range from a day to three or four days. Treks generally head either north or south of town, along hair-raising pathways worn into the rocky hillsides, before descending into minority villages. Some of the best can be found with Ha Giang Responsible Tourism.
Vietnam may be home to the best motorbike routes in all of Asia. Some of the best of the best straddle mammoth peaks and swoop through the remote valley floors of Ha Giang. The entire province is a rider’s dream and could be explored by bike for weeks on end.
Many riders make a loop, departing from Ha Giang before reaching Dong Van, Meo Vac and then back to the capital city. Others believe that the best way to explore the region is with Google Maps and a full tank of gas. Dozens of back-wood roads and mountain pathways carve through the spectacular scenery. Getting lost may be the best way to find the truly unspoiled.
There are certain stretches that can’t be missed, most notably the Ma Pi Leng Pass. Snaking along massive peaks on the Chinese border, this may be the most terrifyingly beautiful ride in all of Vietnam.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.