Tucked away along the Chinese border of Vietnam’s northernmost province lies a stretch of breathtakingly terrifying road unlike anything else the country has to offer. Sheer cliffs dive down thousands of feet just inches from rudimentary guardrails. Martian landscape, dark green coated by a crumbled layer of limestone, piles up in every direction. It’s the most fun you can have on a motorbike in Vietnam.
The geography of Ha Giang is unique to the province and a wild contrast to much of the north. Limestone mammoths dominate the views toward China. Smaller speckled mounts surge from rocky terrain between colorful fields in the valleys as tiny farming villages hug tightly to the rock walls.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While all of the province has great riding and is popular year-round with thrill seekers, the far north offers something even more special — the Dong Van Karst Plateau. Only the second UNESCO Global Geopark in all of Southeast Asia, the landscape is over 500 million years in the making. Full days can be spent riding between stunning vistas, along narrow passages blasted into the rock, switching back and forth so tightly against massive drops that the blood in your knuckles will rush from your hands as they turn ghostly white, glued to the handle bars. In this region, between the towns of Dong Van and Meo Vac, lies Ma Pi Leng, the most amazing road in Vietnam.
Mã Pí Lèng
The 20-kilometer long, near-mile high Mã Pí Lèng Pass was blasted into limestone walls in the 1960’s. Originally intended to connect the towns of Dong Van and Meo Vac, the road has gained a reputation as the country’s greatest ride as motorbike tourism has flourished across Vietnam. To ride Vietnam, you need to ride Mã Pí Lèng.
From the town of Dong Van, the pass rises up, winding through serene rice terraces to the east. The full ride could be completed in under an hour, yet most travelers spend up to a day stopping to admire the jaw-dropping scenery. Foreign backpackers join locals, mostly different ethnic minorities, as they pull to the side and take it all in.
The ride only gets better as you head east. The mountains grow, the valleys fall, the road somehow clings to horizontal walls, the hairpins begin and never seem to end. Just before the largest valley comes into view, a 40-foot stone statue offers a lookout back to the west.
As the valley floor falls away and the river meanders thousands of feet below it can be difficult to concentrate on the road. It’s not uncommon to see foreigners and locals alike lose control and slide out as their eyes gaze over the looming mountain scenery. The twists and turns grow dark in shade before suddenly flooding with light as the sun shines between peaks. In the center of the pass there’s a platform and viewing deck down toward the river and a preposterously deep slice between limestone walls.
Beyond this point the road continues to perch upon its near horizontal wall as it bends in and out amongst the gorges, before finally descending down an impressive set of switchbacks toward the town of Meo Vac.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.