In Ho Chi Minh City, District 5 is home to the nation’s largest and most fun Chinatown. The area, locally referred to as Cholon, is a mix of diverse culture and endless activity that spills from the noisy alleyways which twist boundlessly throughout the concrete expanse. Just off the tourist trail, it’s a great place to see a different side of Saigon.
In Chinatown, everything’s for sale. The region’s roots date back centuries when people traveled from all over the city to purchase goods. Today it’s very much the same. For market lovers, exploring Chinatown can be a much more enjoyable experience than visiting Saigon’s most famous shopping centers in District 1.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The An Dong Market sells fabrics, clothing, home wares and craft goods. Handmade jewelry and hand-carved woodwork can be found scattered throughout the piles as well. The market’s four expansive floors are a similar if not slightly less enjoyable experience to Binh Tay. From the outside the building is as uninviting as possible, a large square, white, Soviet looking block. However once inside, the colors, excitement and textures are as Vietnamese as any of the city’s other great shopping centers.
Navigate District 5’s narrow alleyways for Dim Sum
In between both markets there are miles of streets, narrow lanes, and twisted alleyways to explore as well. Herbal remedies and Chinese lanterns can be found down nondescript pathways. For some, winding through these entryways with no real direction to go and window shopping the afternoon away are the most fun to be had in the area.
When the shopping is done it’s time to eat. In Ho Chi Minh City, there’s an old saying that goes: “eat in District 5, live in District 3, and see in District 1”. Needless to say the food here is fantastic. Saigon’s best dumpling restaurants claim the district as home. These are some of our favorites.
This friendly joint is known to have some of the best dumplings in town. A towering menu sitting on top of a red and yellow signage will let you know you’ve made it to this always-packed hole in the wall. This should be a stop on any food lover’s visit to Vietnam. The menu is as extensive as it is delicious, featuring nearly a dozen pages of steamed or pan fried dumplings.
Tien Phat is a Hong Kong joint dropped into the midst of Vietnam’s oldest Chinatown that’s been around for more than 20 years. The menu is similarly extensive to that of Tan Nguyen Thai, and the ambiance is cozy, casual and authentic. The steamed pork and crab dumplings are some of our favorites in the whole city. There’s never a dull moment to be had here; watching the servers run about can be almost as enjoyable as the meal.
Explore the District on foot
Some say that Saigon isn’t a city to be walked. The sidewalks are too narrow or nonexistent, the motorbikes hurl down each and every sliver of an opening, the heat is too powerful and overbearing. This couldn’t be more wrong. Saigon exists on the streets. The never-ending action and unmatched pace of life moving by are unique to this sprawling metropolis. The truth is that there is no single way to get a better feel for the city than by exploring on foot. Chinatown is no different. The best way to understand the area is to get up early and start walking. Between the markets, shops, and dumpling houses you’ll come across some of the city’s most beautiful pagodas.
This spectacular structure dates back to the mid 1700’s and was built in honor of the Chinese Sea Goddess, Mazu. Ornate carvings and decorative figures dart upwards from the slant roof. Once past the iron entrance gate, beyond the courtyard and inside the pagoda, twisting incense cones hang down overhead and clouds of smoke wisp up from the giant smooth stone vases. A number of statues paying tribute to Mazu are dispersed throughout the grounds.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.