Why not put your purchases to good use? These eco-friendly shops are changing the way we splurge, with items and goods that actually help, as oppose to hurt, the earth. Here, a guide to eco-friendly shopping in Bangkok. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Furniture does not get any more environmentally-friendly than it does at Deesawat. Their award-winning designs speaks volumes of their work towards minimizing their ecological footprint. For example, one of their designer’s pieces titled ‘Lamp Up’ received runner-up for the Gift and Home Decorative Design Award in 2009 in Thailand. The lamp resembles a power plant factory, which is meant to remind those who use the lamp to save electricity and turn it off when not in use. The company was founded in 1972, and all of its pieces are impeccably designed by a team of over 200 skilled workers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Green Net Cooperative
The entire family can get behind Green Net Cooperative, one of the best places in the city to find planet and kid-friendly items. All of the fabrics used in their products are organic, including their cotton diaper, made from handspun cotton and silk. In addition to their fabrics, Green Net Cooperative sells a variety of rice products, as well as a few other food goods, including vegetables, beans, and herbal teas. If you have a little one on your hands, be sure to check out this particular eco-friendly store.
The idea of eco-friendly shopping usually goes hand-in-hand with a high price tag. From organic products to grocery stores, buyers know that purchasing items that are environmentally friendly usually ends up a bit pricier. This is not the case with Khaokho Talaypu. Since the brand began in 1987, it has pledged to only use ingredients that were completely natural and free of chemicals. Khaokho Talaypu has a range of products to choose from, including those which target personal care, home and spa, as well as health, wellness, and even food. In addition to being environmentally friendly, all of Khaokho Talaypu’s products are budget-friendly, as well. For example, a bottle of their butterfly pea herbal hair shampoo only costs ฿70 (less than $2).
Shades of Retro
Shades of Retro may appear to be just a bar selling pricey alcoholic beverages. Look past all of the cool kids and hipsters, however, and see that this bar is also a secondhand store of sorts, and all of the seemingly random stuff on the walls is actually up for sale. Shopping secondhand is great for the environment and for the community, so put your money to good use by reducing, reusing, recycling, and maybe having a drink or two and this awesome venue.
In addition to an adorable coffee shop (make that two) perfect for settling in with your favorite caffeinated beverage, this café has so much more to offer guests than just its delicious food and coffee. Right outside the café is every secondhand enthusiast’s dream, with enough leather bags, shoes, and more to have you searching through its abundance of items for what seems like forever. Both shops are tiny and quaint, yet somehow they are both overflowing with secondhand and used items from Italy, the United States, and other Western countries. The shops are open every day from 12pm to 9pm (the cafes open earlier). Take the BTS Skytrain to station Ekkamai, and the shops are a short motorbike taxi from the train.
TUBA Design Furniture & Restaurant
From analog clocks to typewriters, stepping into TUBA Design Furniture & Restaurant makes you feel as though you have traveled back in time. Whether visitors are hoping to redecorate an interior or simply browse through these secondhand, stylish goods, TUBA Design Furniture & Restaurant is simply overflowing with items worth exploring. Did we mention that it is also a restaurant? If visitors work up an appetite while exploring this venue’s seemingly endless secondhand items, TUBA Design Furniture & Restaurant is also serves Italian and Thai cuisine for customers to enjoy.
Tuba, 34 Ekkamai 21, Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand, +66 02 539 8220
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.