Chiang Mai has a huge range of fitness activities available, frequented by locals, expats and tourists alike. Wandering around in your ‘active wear’ is often cheered on by local residents who might just give you a supportive thumbs up. Grab your Fitbit and go try what Chiang Mai has to offer, from Muay Thai training camps to lively Zumba classes and everything in between.
Gyms and fitness classes
If you plan to stay in town awhile, and want to maintain your fitness routine, you might want to consider signing up for a gym membership in one of the many gyms throughout the city. Membership fees vary so it is a good idea to cash in the free trial for one class so you can see what gym works best for you. Both gyms and fitness studios offer a range of equipment and classes, including salsa dancing, yoga, Zumba and martial arts. There is also an extremely popular CrossFit gym.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The majority of the fitness classes are taught in Thai, however, there are plenty that are taught in English. Some classes even take a bilingual approach in which you can not only get fit but also practice your Thai skills.
If you are on a tight budget, never fear, there are still plenty of fitness options for you, whether you join a hiking group, explore Chiang Mai’s parks or join a free outdoor public fitness class. Many of the public spaces have a variety of basic work out equipment that can be used for free. Besides a luscious green outdoor gym, these verdant spaces are also a great place to mingle with locals.
Muay Thai, the national sport of Thailand, is not only a great way to get fit, it is also a fantastic way to learn more about Thai culture. Chiang Mai is one of Thailand’s top locations to learn the art, with casual classes as well as intensive training camps available.
Indoor and outdoor climbing
Chiang Mai has a flourishing climbing community with both indoor and outdoor options which cater to beginners and experienced climbers. If you are interested in getting into the climbing scene in Chiang Mai, check out No Gravity. For outdoor climbing options, the Crazy Horse Buttress is recognized as a world class climbing venue.
Hiking and cycling
Forget trying to navigate Chiang Mai’s near non-existent pavements and rather jog or cycle around Huay Tung Tao Lake which is only a 15-minute drive from the city center. The lake is stunningly beautiful and is a calm and tranquil place to exercise. Chiang Mai also has plenty of marathons for those so inclined.
If you prefer walking or hiking, Chiang Mai has a wide choice of breathtakingly beautiful hikes that lead you up mountains, past sacred temples and along cascading waterfalls. There is an excellent array of trails for both beginners and experienced hikers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.