Koh Tao, an island on the Gulf of Thailand, was never viewed as mysterious or dangerous … only stunning. The tides have lately turned, however, as the island has seen a rise in the number of both dead and missing foreigners in the past few years or so. Now referred to as ‘Death Island’, tourists are wondering one thing before making their way to Koh Tao – is it safe?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is believed Koh Tao was first dubbed the nickname ‘Death Island’, by the Samui Times, a publication on the neighboring island of Koh Samui. It has since been under fire by the Koh Tao district chief and authorities. Criminal charges were filed against the publications, claiming they violated the Computer Crime Act.
Since the Samui Times article came out, the following newspapers have all had headlines with some reference to Koh Tao and ‘Death Island’: The Nation, The Sun, AsiaOne, Daily Star, and Khaosod English. The headlines, and rightfully so, have made tourists at the very least think twice before venturing to the island.
Since January 1, 2014, there have been four deaths on the island of Koh Tao in which the cases have since been closed and were concluded that none were crime-related. Two murders on the island resulted in the death penalty for those found guilty, however. Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were backpacking and staying near Sairee Beach when they were killed on September 15, 2014. Two men from Myanmar, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, were sentenced to death for these crimes by the Appeal Court and the lower court.
Some of the deaths which have sparked debate as to whether or not the missing and murder cases were investigated properly, include the death of Dimitri Povse. The 29-year-old Frenchman was found on January 1, 2015, hanging from his balcony ceiling. However, his hands were tied behind his back, leading many to speculate how this was possible, and it remains a mystery today.
James Davidson, a student who was on the island recently to get his open water diving certification, had not heard of the island’s reputation prior to traveling there.
“We hadn’t heard anything about Koh Tao other than it’s (a) small, beautiful island and great for diving,” Davidson said.
Davidson is right. The island of Koh Tao has attracted visitors from all over the world for its amazing dive sites in combination with its renowned instructors and shops. Some people believe that the island is more stunning below than above the water, and for over 35 years the island has been attracting all types of travelers.
Koh Tao was essentially uninhabited until the late 1940s, and it did not see its first resort built until the early 1980s. Since then, the island’s popularity has grown, and even though it is only 3.4 kilometers at its widest and is 7.6 kilometers long, Koh Tao welcomes some 350,000 travelers each year. Whether this will change or not because of the island’s new nickname has yet to be seen.
As with all trips, there are certain precautions to take while traveling. Try to explore with a friend in tow and be sure to have a form of communication with you at all times. Keep an eye on your drink if you go out. Respect the locals, their traditions, and customs.
“I think anywhere you go you just have to be wary of where you are and what you’re doing,” Davidson said. “Anywhere in Southeast Asia is going to have risks, but Thailand, in particular, is a very well-traveled country, so most of it we saw seemed very safe.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.