A long-standing institution offering a vintage cinematic experience, the La Scala first opened its doors in 1967. La Scala is a beautifully maintained one-screen movie theatre which shows an eclectic range of films including blockbusters and independent films from Europe and Asia. Transport yourself back in time as you marvel at the films on offer from outside the cinema in hand-placed red letters. The La Scala experience is like no other in Thailand and worth every minute including purchasing your cheap ticket and popcorn in the lavish domed-ceiling entrance and then moving on into the 1000 red velvet seat cinema.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Lido cinema is owned by the same family as La Scala and offers a similar yet varying experience. The Lido Cinema dates back to the late 1960’s yet does not have quite the architectural charm of La Scala. The Lido Cinema is one of the cheapest in the capital and tends to show first-run Hollywood films and arthouse films from Japan and Korea as well as other parts of the world. The La Scala and Lido Cinemas also have a yearly Little Big Film Project, an independent film festival spanning several weeks.
Lido, Rama I Rd, Pathum Wan, Bangkok, Thailand, +66 2 252 6498
The Friese-Greene Club
The Friese-Greene Club is a membership-based club that shows a range of films from yesteryear with each month focused on a different theme, director, genre or era. Sunday evenings are particularly popular with old classics being screened like Citizen Kane, Cinema Paradiso and Some Like It Hot. The cinema includes a bar, lounge room and bookshelves packed with magazines and books on everything film related. Becoming a member not only gives you access to this avid film lovers community it also gives you access to exclusive screenings and talks with alternative film directors passing through Thailand’s capital. Reserving a seat in advance is highly encouraged as this intimate nine-seat cinema books up fast.
Located in Bangkok’s trendy Royal City Avenue, also known as the RCA, area the cosy House RCA offers a wide range of independent films for art and indie film lovers. If you are in search of Thai films, House RCA specialize in showcasing Thailand’s quirky and artsy films. This boutique cinema has two cinema screens, a cafeteria and a comprehensive DVD library from which you can borrow and a selection of documentaries and art-house films on sale too.
Arthouse cinemas are actually relatively rare in Thailand with the masses generally going for the latest action-packed blockbuster. The non-profit Goethe-Institut Thailand is a great place to come and see alternative German films with both English and Thai subtitles. The cultural association has 159 institutes worldwide. Besides films, the Goethe-Institut also encourages cultural exchange through music, theatre and literature.
Looking to dive deep into the fascinating world of Japanese art films, then look no further than the Japan Foundation. The Japan Foundation was established in 1972 and primarily focus on promoting Japanese culture. The foundation shows regular screenings of Japanese films and is a great place to learn more about Japan’s alternative film culture.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.