Held on the third Sunday of January every year, the Sinulog Festival in Cebu City is a must-see festival. Each year, at least three million devotees and revelers head to the Queen City of the South to don their Sinulog hats, put on face paints, watch the parade, and wear colorful shirts – all part of experiencing the grand celebration in honor of the Santo Niño, or the Child Jesus. Here are the top things to see and do during the Sinulog Festival of the Philippines.
Join the Fluvial Parade and Solemn Procession
Usually held a day before the Sinulog Grand Parade, thousands of devotees participate in the Fluvial Parade and Solemn Procession of the image of Santo Niño. The Fluvial Parade starts at 6 am, whereas the Solemn Procession happens in the afternoon, around 2. It’s usually followed by the “kaplag”, where students, actors, and actresses re-enact the Baptism of Queen Juana and Rajah Humabon as Catholics, including the moment when Magellan gave the image of the Santo Niño as a baptismal gift to the Queen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a tour around Cebu
Arriving a day before the Grand Parade is a must for visitors. This gives you the chance to take a tour, a day trip or even visit one of the beaches in the island of Cebu. Don’t forget to visit the iconic Magellan’s Cross, Lapu-Lapu Shrine, and the Basilica Minor Del Santo Niño.
Go on a food trip
No festival is complete without filling your tummy! And the best way to enjoy a place is to immerse yourself in its cuisine. First-time visitors should definitely try the Puso, or hanging rice (steamed rice wrapped in banana leaves), which is found in almost all food stalls in the city. Of course, the world famous Cebu Lechon (roasted pig) shouldn’t be missed.
The Sinulog Grand Parade starts as early as 8:30 in the morning, shortly after the Mañanita and Pontifical mass at the Basilica Minor Del Santo Niño, and the Holy Mass at the Cebu City Sports Center. This parade is one of the most grand festivities in the Philippines, as all participants showcase their graceful dance steps to their ritual dances while donning colorful and very detailed costumes. Join the fun and see the lively parade of the Cebuanos as they honor the Santo Niño.
By 4 pm, catch the Grand Parade finale, where organizers will announce the winners of the competitions held during the festival.
Enjoy street parties and live bands
Cebuanos are known for their beautiful singing voices. During the Sinulog Festival there are many street parties and live concerts in the city. Cebu’s finest talents will also impress you with their amazing voices. Plus, dance music events and street parties (where locals party all night) will surely bring you epic, unforgettable moments.
Go for a night walk
Joining the Sinulog Festival will require you to walk most of the time, as the main streets are flooded with thousands of people at all hours of the day. Enjoy the night by walking between nearby tourist spots, offering a prayer or lighting a candle, or meeting fellow tourists along the way.
Catch the pyro spectacular shows
Complete the Sinulog experience by witnessing another highlight of the Sinulog Festival – the pyro spectacular shows! The Sinulog Fireworks Competition is held annually to cap off the Grand Parade with multi-colored pyrotechnics that leave locals and tourists in delight.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.