From a sleepy coastal town in south Cebu, Oslob has transformed into a top destination. Located three hours from Cebu, Oslob offers a great escape from urban Cebu City with its beaches, springs, falls and, of course, its famous residents, whale sharks. Not to be skipped when in Cebu, here’s how to spend at least 48 hours in Oslob.
The reason people flock to Oslob is its whale sharks, locally called ‘tuki’. Though it shrouds some controversies, it has become a part of many bucket lists to swim with whale sharks in Oslob. Go to Barangay Tan-awan as early as possible since whale shark watching begins at 11 a.m. (and there is often a rush of tourists). Swim or snorkel and follow all the rules given during the briefing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
After swimming with the gentle giants, you can grab your breakfast from nearby eateries serving fresh seafood. Then hail a habal habal (motorcycle) to Tumalog Falls. Just before noon, prepare to leave for Mainit Spring.
Located in Malabuyoc, grab lunch along the way before you proceed to Mainit spring. ‘Mainit’ means ‘hot’, which explains this hot spring’s name. There are three man-made pools in which to take a dip, all with varying temperatures from 36.1°C-47.6°C. Not far from the spring is a small waterfall.
Going back to Oslob, spend some time at Oslob Baywalk and take your time while enjoying the sea views and small town scenes.
Enjoy peaceful nightlife in Oslob right in your place of stay. The best choice would be a beachfront accommodation where you can spend the night listening to the waves or listen to its lullaby while in a hammock. With your day packed with activities, enjoy the night with a bottle of local beer.
Like other southern towns, Oslob offers something for those who love cultural and historic walks. Right after breakfast, proceed to Oslob Municipal Heritage Park and see the town’s historic sites in one area. Learn about Oslob and Cebu’s Spanish era at Calle Aragones, say a prayer at the Church of Immaculate Concepcion and spot how this house of worship is made out of coral stone.
See sites like Cuartel and Baluarte. Cuartel (‘barracks’ in Spanish) is right in front of the church, built in 1860 for Spanish soldiers but left unfinished when the Filipino Revolution against Spain started. Baluarte on the other hand seems like an unfinished structure, but it was designed that way as a hiding place for Spanish soldiers spotting slave raiders attacking villages in the Visayas.
Go back to your accommodation in Oslob and check out before preparing yourself for a short boat ride to Sumilon Island. An island resort, Sumilon Island offers a tranquil retreat, away from the crowd flocking to Oslob. Escape and rejuvenate from yesterday’s fully packed tour.
The island of Sumilon covers 24 hectares with its clear waters teeming with rich underwater treasures. Enjoy a picnic by the beach, go for a swim or sign up for snorkelling or diving. From its iconic sandbar, explore other parts of the island from its mangrove, caves and even a 19th century watchtower.
Stay for the night in Sumilon Island as you enjoy the dusk and the island’s tranquil ambiance. Watch as the day turns to night from the resort’s bamboo gazebo before dinner. The resort also offers dinner parties in various locations. Then, before you retire, have a massage from the spa or read a book from the library.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.