Philippine cinema is a story of glory, demise and rebirth. During the 1950s and early 1960s, it was among the leading film industries in Asia, releasing hundreds of films in a period known as its First Golden Age. The Second Golden Age, in the ’70s and early ’80s, was defined by a new breed of directors. This outstanding film heritage is now being honoured and preserved in Cinematheque Centre Manila.
After a period of struggle, Philippine cinema today is back on its feet, once again making waves on the international scene and offering more diverse films. The recent establishment of the National Film Archive of the Philippines (NFAP) also addressed one of the industry’s long-standing problems – how films of the past have been lost or overlooked.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
NFAP is an attached body to the Film Development Council of the Philippines, the umbrella organization for the overall development of Philippine cinema. Both are housed in Cinematheque Centre Manila, complete with a film library and a classroom, a museum and a theatre where restored movies are shown.
Special inaugural screenings and tributes to certain directors (such as award-winning Lav Diaz) are also aired at the cinema, as well as forums and talks with filmmakers. One of the most popular of these was a talk by acclaimed director Brillante Mendoza after the screening of his movie Ma’ Rosa, which led to a best actress award for Jaclyn Jose at the International Cannes Film Festival in 2016.
Thematic movie screenings also offer nationally and culturally relevant films, such as the compelling story of female life in Panay Pinay Pelikula, aired during Women’s Month, and faith-based films in Salve Pelikula which were played during Holy Week. The cinematheque also screens regional and foreign films, such as the multi-awarded film about Pampanga poetry: ARI: My Life with a King.
It also screens films from FDCP’s festival programs (such as Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino/PPP and Cine Lokal). These include Birdshot, the country’s entry to 2018 Oscars Academy Award for the Best Foreign Language Film Category; and the award-winning Patay na si Hesus. PPP and Cine Lokal films are also shown at mainstream theatres nationwide.
For those wishing to learn more about Filipino film in the past, the cinematheque also has a dedicated Museo ng Pelikulang Pilipino (Museum of Philippine Cinema). It features the statues, memorabilia and personal artefacts of six pioneer and master Filipino filmmakers who have deeply impacted the development of Philippine Cinema – Jose Nepomuceno, Manuel Conde, Gerardo de Leon, Lamberto Avellana, Ishmael Bernal and Lino Brocka.
Their cultural films, coupled with mastery of filmmaking skills, won them acclaim in the international film scene – Conde’s Genghis Khan (1950) and Avellana’s Kandelerong Pilak (1954) were the first Filipino films shown at the Venice Film Festival and Cannes International Film Festival respectively. Visiting the museum provides an excellent introduction to Philippine cinema for newcomers and a refresher of beloved films for those who have seen them before.
The centre also aims to encourage budding talent, with workshops for filmmakers and scriptwriters giving the next generation of cinema greats the chance to shine. Since launching in 2016, CCM has been making efforts to raise awareness and appreciation of the country’s film heritage and culture, ensuring that appreciation for Philippine cinema is kept alive for future generations.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.