Travellers have their own ways to enjoy a trip. Some prefer tasting a local coffee or visiting a museum to get to know a country’s history, while others think of the beach or the mountains to check out. But isn’t the best way to enjoy and have fun in a certain place to experience its uniqueness? Well, the Philippines has tons of it and here we list 10 things you can only experience in the country.
When you visit the Philippines you cannot say no to eating its famous balut. Balut is a hard boiled duck egg with a developing embryo inside. People say you need to eat the fetus for you to experience eating balut, however awkward and weird it tastes. The protein-rich egg is mostly sold in the streets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ride the jeepney
Jeepneys are the leading transportation vehicle in the Philippines, especially in the metro. Jeepneys are remnants of the jeeps left by Americans during its colonization. Nowadays, jeepneys are notorious for fitting lots of people in, despite its small structure. The payments, usually in coins, are being passed from passenger to another until it reaches the driver. If you would like to try riding atop the jeepney, you may experience it in the Mountain Province.
Get a tattoo from artist Apo Whang Od
The 100-year-old tribal tattoo artist Whang Od is regularly frequented by tourists and locals alike, who are keen to have a traditional tattoo. She came from the Butbut tribe in Buscalan, Kalinga and is considered as the last mambabatok (hand-tap) artist and the oldest tattoo artist in the country.
Bath in a large cooking pot
In Tibiao, Antique, tourists should never miss the chance of taking a soothing dip in a large cooking pot or kawa where they look like they are being cooked alive. These posts were used to cook sugar but resorts and inns in the place turned them into jacuzzi tub. This is an awesome way to relax and get close to nature after the adventure you experienced from adrenaline-pumping activities.
Bike in the air
Biking in the Philippines is not new. However, if you are biking 150-feet high, then it is something to check out. In Bohol, one of its attractions, aside from the Chocolate Hills and the tarsiers, is the biking up in the air activity. You need to bike your way through a 500-meter distance rope and pedal on your own. While you’re at it of course, you will see Bohol’s scenic beauty from above.
Climbing El Nido’s limestone
El Nido is not just about island-hopping and seeing the breathtaking small and big lagoons at its heart. In the town is a giant limestone that can be trekked up to its summit. However, the climb up there is not an easy feat. It requires endurance as you need to hand climb it without cemented pavements. Once you are up there, the tiredness will all be worth it as it will offer you a scenic view of the islands, the South China Sea, as well as the town’s peaceful beauty.
Bike around with bamboo
If you are in Manila and would like to walk down memory lane, visit Intramuros. Also known as the Walled City, Intramuros is a walkable area which has been preserved after the Spanish colonization. But if you do not want to ride the traditional horse carriage, you may want to tour around with a bamboo bike you can rent. They are handmade by villagers from a social enterprise. These bamboo bikes can be rented within the place or they are also available if you want to buy some.
Unleash your anger and throw plates
When life throws problems at you, one option is to be aggressive and throw things you see just to release the tension. In a restaurant in Tarlac, you can pay for the pleasure. In Isdaan restaurant, you can throw plates into a wall, called Tacsiyapo, so you can release whatever angst you have inside. You can also throw glasses, old radios, and TVs! Tacsiyapo means “shame on you” which you should shout upon aiming at your target.
Dine by the falls
There are many dining experiences in the Philippines. You can dine by the beach, in high buildings, or have a picnic in a park. But there is one dining experience you need to try—and that is to dine beside a waterfall. In Villa Escudero Waterfall Restaurant, you can eat with the falls just next to you. Pick with their menu offering from seafood to mouth watering meat dishes. This place is mostly frequented by families.
See the beauty of the Banaue Rice Terraces
The rice terraces in Banaue are a unique heritage site by UNESCO and have been dubbed as the Eighth Wonder of the World. Over 2,000 years ago, ancestors of the indigenous people in the area were the ones who made the rice terraces with their bare hands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.