The Philippines’ fierce Kalinga tribe has just one remaining ‘mambabatok’, or master tattoo artist: Whang Od, who is nearly 100 years old. A visit to her home in the Cordillera mountains is one of the most sought-after tattoo pilgrimages in the world. Read on for more about Whang Od, the Kalingas, and this fast-disappearing tradition of hand-tapped body art.
Like many of the indigenous tribes of North Luzon, the Kalingas are known for their bravery. Buscalan is one of several communities in the Kalinga province. Here, hand-tap tattoo artist Whang Od (pronounced with an “f”: Fang Od) Oggay has been tattooing herself, her neighbors, and her relatives for decades. More recently, a stream of body-ink enthusiasts from all over the world have traipsed to Whang Od’s hilltop hut.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The process of getting a hand-tapped Kalinga tattoo involves very simple tools: the thorn of a pomelo tree; soot from Whang Od’s kitchen fire, mixed with water; and two bamboo instruments – one for fitting the thorn, another for tapping the ink into the skin. The design is laid out using strips of grass dipped in the ink, and the tapping begins.
Whang Od received her first tattoos from her father, who then went on to teach her the art craft. Her first attempts were on her own legs and on her female friends. During the Second World War, the Kalinga tribe was besieged both by Japanese solders and Filipino forces. Whang Od lost the love of her life at the age of 25, and devoted herself entirely to tattooing as a means of income.
The elderly women in Buscalan still proudly wear the designs that Whang Od tapped onto their skin in her younger days. Kalinga parents pay for their daughters’ tattoos, as a sign of the family’s wealth, and to enhance the girls’ beauty. Kalinga men can only be inked with specific emblems as a symbol of bravery in defending the village in tribal wars. Headhunting as a means of settling scores is a prominent feature in Kalinga heritage. Only men who have killed or shown outstanding valor can receive tattoos.
Stairs, like those that criss-cross the Northern Luzon rice terraces, are a common motif, as are ears of rice. Centipedes and pythons – two powerful animal spirit guides in the Kalinga belief – are commonly chosen for men. The hand-tap process is slow, painful, and often accompanied by infection. The recipient must show bravery during this important rite, or is thought to suffer serious spiritual consequences.
These days, Whang Od no longer works in the rice fields. She still rises early and sees to her pigs and chickens, before beginning her first tattoo at 7am. She’s taught her craft to her grandniece Grace, who assists her in completing big designs. The hope is that Grace, together with a younger generation of Kalinga women, will keep this ancient Filipino tradition of body art alive.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.